How big is too big?

I just picked up a kart and it does not have an engine, so I got a 9HP B&S off a kid off craigslist. Will this be too much for a go kart?

Well that depends on the Kart Mountain. If the Kart is one wheel drive than it would usually be considered to big. If it's a live axle kart then that's OK but make sure the brakes are up to the task of stopping all the weight and speed that big 9 will deliver. Pictures always help with these advise questions.
Steve :scooter:

Just rich boys and their toys. that's why real karting has rules that limit the engine size and requirements for safety and a level field of competition. But were not talking about this kind of kart here.

I would eat that up!!!!! My buddy put an old 70's style CB500 motor on a homemade kart. Man that thing would haul @ss and it was fun too....

Had a guy come into my shop back in 1973 with a homemade kart with a 3 cylinder DKW two stroke engine it had 3 coils 3 carbs and a very heavy flywheel for keeping the rev's up this went through an old Harley transmission . The kart had brakes good for about 40 mph.
This guy would race for money down in the Los Angeles river bed cars like the Plymouth GTX and the Baracuda's of course he said he always won. Bought Fransisco's racing fuel from me and Klotz two stroke oil and Klotz Nitro and Blue Blazer additives.
I was a pile of junk in my eyes but I just sold him parts.

My now deceased uncle was written up by the US Army for breaking his leg by wrecking a 'Go kart' that he and his buddies had built. It had a traverse mounted 4 cylinder jeep engine with a jeep wheel and tire directly mounted in place of the flywheel. It was push started and had a single scrub brake! He lost it and stuck it in the side of a Nike Hercules transport. (Korea) Makes for a good story now, but wasn't too funny at the time. He got nailed for the old "destruction of Gov't property". He spent a good amount of time walking guard duty around the inside perimeter of a Nike installation. He said you couldn't see into the dark past the fence, but he was in almost daylight bright lights.
It bothered him at first, but after a while he said he didn't care because it sucked so bad. He did manage to eek out an honorable discharge. I sure miss him...