How do-able is powder coating at home?

I was quoted $75 to do 2 Heald wheels that are clean as a whistle.
I see $80 powder coat systems on eBay .. electric ovens are cheap on CL.

Thoughts?

IMG_2251.JPG

I have had one for years. It is good for smaller parts...but sucks for frames. Unless you can find a big oven from a pizza place going out of business.

I built my oven using insulated tin panels and heating elements from old used ovens. I can take take the screws out of it and collapse it down to take up less space. It's far from pretty but works well.

Itype2slo

Most good places do the sandblasting preburn off off oils and powder coat. One of those things that is not cost effective to do yourself. Like chrome some do, I don't want that crap on my property. :thumbsup:

Search YouTube for powder coating videos. Small parts can be done in an old toaster oven. Or like you said an old electric stoves oven.
I looked into it awhile ago but never did it. I too found that people liked and recommended Prismatic powders.

Please keep us informed about what you find out and decide to do.

Danford1

That price is high, this Gilson cost 150.00 to sand blast and powder coat.

Hi oldsledz!
You have absolutely used the colors I have been working with in my head!!

I forget where you live but it might be worth the drive as I have a few things I want done ..
Where was the work done?

But I'm also considering making a "foldable/storable" oven big enough to do a frame etc.

Still looking into it ... but thanks for the preview on how my colors would look!

oldsledz

The forks are a metal flake silver , the frame is not as red as it looks in the photo. I have a motor mount from a Gilson snowmobile I used for a color match, it is a near perfect match. I am near Midland and the powder coater is 3 miles away. The same place done the red Harrison I brought down to ride with you guys last fall.

The forks are a metal flake silver , the frame is not as red as it looks in the photo. I have a motor mount from a Gilson snowmobile I used for a color match, it is a near perfect match. I am near Midland and the powder coater is 3 miles away. The same place done the red Harrison I brought down to ride with you guys last fall.
I thought it was orange and white!
Ahh, yes, Midland ... yep .. that's too far away ..
And I do remember the Harrison and if your like me and you have the OldMiniBikes "2017 Vintage" calendar https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/?target=search&mode=search you'll see they use your bike as their website shot as well as the bike is the feature bike for the month of may!
I also have the "modified" calendar, that one is at work.

Please keep us informed about what you find out and decide to do.

Danford1
This is a project that the paint/powder coat wont be needed for awhile with the exception of the wheels, I don't want to have the tires mounted twice.
So I took the wheels to a local shop, $60 for gloss white.

I wont be doing enough powder coating to make it worth building a big frame sized oven.
However I want to dabble ... seems for about $200 I can get set up to do smaller, oven sized parts, even toaster oven sized parts.
At the very least I think I could break even money wise on this project and save money on future projects ... maybe a buddy or 2 will need some stuff done .. who knows.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Kevin

Eastwood shows a nice size oven for $79.00 works great they have small amounts of powders that work great......powder coaters chrome shops upolstery ect are funny they like big jobs so look for small shops .....and try to get it done when there are slow