How do! is my story The Lil Indian who came home!

Because my introduction is long it's posted in two parts. Be sure to read both posts and look at the photos....

Greetings everyone! This is my first post and an introduction to my yet to be molested or restored original LiL Indian. I stumbled on this site while trying to do a little research on the late 1960’s LiL Indian that my family once owned and its twin that I currently own. I have been riding, racing and collecting old 1960-70’s mini’s and vintage motorcycles on and off every since my Dad first brought home our LiL Indian from Fletcher’s Trailer Sales in Hector, New York on my 8th Birthday in July of 1967. As I look at this little bike currently sitting in my shop, I can still feel the balmy breeze and smell the freshly cut hay coming from the field in front of our house as I watched my dad pull in our driveway with the little mini stuffed in the trunk of his big yellow Mercury. The bike shown in this thread, not unlike many others listed here has a wonderful history that I’ll share. Unfortunately, it is not the exact bike I had, but the twin that I recently purchased that had been originally owned by my neighbor and good friend a few houses down from my parents. Sadly, like many of you here, my original LiL Indian which was Identical to my friends (our dads bought them in the same year) was ridden hard and put away wet for four years until my parents finally pushed it’s stripped bent rolling carcass with its chains dragging to the side of the road for garbage pickup.
At the time it seemed like the right thing to do, at 12-years-of-age, who would have known that 37 years later, that cherished but whipped little minibike, that was discarded curbside would bring back so many great memories from those early innocent years of our lives. Besides, at the time there was a shiny new green Honda CT70H sitting in its place in our garage.

As you can will see from the photos, is mini is 99% original, the only major change from stock was the stock B&S muffler was removed and a piece of 8” metal plumbing pipe was added to give the bike a nice mellow growl, and the original Indian stickered pull start cover was robbed to replace a failing one on the original owners edger. It also looks like the brake cable was replaced (I may be wrong), if I remember correctly the bike came with both the throttle and brake cables that were black. Everything is original, the seat, chrome fenders, grips and most all hardware. There are plenty of dings, scratches, and surface rust, but the bike is complete and is still covered in dirt and oil from the last day it was enjoyed in the summer of 1969,Also note it’s the very cool 2 speed automatic clutch model with its Chrome wrap-around guard and the original white piped flared seat cover. The bike I originally owned was the same except that it had a full cover over the clutches, I’m not sure but I think LiL Indian may have changed the guard style mid-production run, thus the difference in the two bikes we both owned which were purchased a couple of months apart from the same dealer. One thing I do remember clearly is having continuous circular cuts from the spinning primary clutch on my left lower leg the year the guard on my bike finally broke apart at the welded brackets. After several failed brazing attempts by a plumber friend, we finally gave up and left the guard off. My friend’s simple front guard (shown in this thread) clearly was a stronger guard design, and has weathered the years better.

So here is some of my story of why I love these little minis about how I ended up with this little beauty. I a stated, I have known this bike since it was new in 1967, As most of you know, we can’t even begin to describe in words how much fun these little bikes brought into our lives as we rode them way back when. All of the times exploring trails, old gravel pits and construction sites, riding the trails in local woods, and chasing each other around the dozens of corn, hay and wheat fields in our very rural (at the time) neighborhood. The beauty was not only in the thrill of the ride, it was also the freedom of travel it gave us. With miles of trails between our house and other friends’ houses, we were never stuck at home. Even if we were limited on gas, our small ¾ acre yard could be turned into a great little TT-track where we could squeeze those last precious thrill-filled ounces of leaded fuel out of the little mini’s tank as we ricocheted off small berms near Mom’s garden, and jumped the slightly raised humps near the dirt driveway while continuously circling the house. I can remember more than once, inhaling a mouth full of gas while trying to siphon gas from our Dad’s old Wheel horse lawn tractor while we waiting for him to bring home a new supply of fuel for the mini. Who here besides me can remember chasing after our Mother, Father or Sister, trying to stop them as they hijacked our beloved mini for a ride when we least expected it. (Cont on next post)

Last edited:
Story con't...

One of the most vivid memories I have, was the day after school I took the little mini out for a ride before my parents came home from work. Like many kids the minibike was off limits until an Adult came home. On this day, my older sister went to her friend’s house after school and I was home alone! What harm could it cause? A quick ride to the local gravel pit for an hour or so and back in the garage before anyone came home sounded great. Unfortunately, 10 minutes into my gravel pit freeride (old-school style never more than a few inches off the ground) and I was lying on the ground holding my right knee as blood gushed from a 3” laceration. After shaking off the pain, the adrenaline kicked in and I quickly made my way home, leaking blood from the gaping wound. With the bike safely back its spot in the garage, I sat in our bathroom on the toilet, trying to get the wound cleaned up. My parents finally came home a couple of hours later and asked why I was locked in the bathroom? When I finally opened the door my Mother turned a horrifying white color has she stared at gaping 3” gash, bright red muscle tissue and shiny silvery white exposed kneecap. A couple of hours and 20 stitches later, life was all good again. From that point on, no more rides unless someone else was home.

Anyway, back to the acquisition, Flash forward to 2006, After many years of losing touch with my Friend and his family, he moved away with his mother shortly after junior high (a product of divorce), during July of 2006 as happenstance would have it, I was driving to visit my mother who still lives in our family home in the neighborhood I speak of; as I pasted my old friends house, I noticed that his 70-year-old Dad, who still lives there was dragging stuff out into the yard for a garage sale. I quickly snapped a u-turn and pulled in to say hello. After an hour or so of catching up (I had not seen or spoken with him in 35 years) I was reminiscing about all the fun we had with our little minibikes. His eyes quickly lit up and he said “I think a still have that LiL Indian in the barn”. Needless to say I nearly crapped my pants, I quickly asked him if he wanted to sell it, and he responded with “ oh, it’s buried, I don’t even want to think about digging it out or finding it now”, we are getting ready to move to Florida for the Winter and I don’t have time to even find it”. As fast as my heart was racing I didn’t want to push, him, even though in my deepest thoughts the devil side of me was thinking “how I could sneak in that damn barn after he was gone to Florida and snatch that thing or at least look for it” In my most calm voice, I said to him, “No problem, if you ever dig it out, I would love to buy the bike no matter what shape it’s in”. I left it at that, with little hope the mini would ever materialize. Besides, I suspected this son would have first dibs if he ever found the little bike. Shortly after we shook hands and a drove off to Mom’s those exciting thoughts of the little mini quickly vacated my mind and life went on, at that time I was also more focused on finding the 4th great love of my life, 1974 Honda CR125M1, another bike I owned and raced so the LiL Indian was not a major concern.

It was over a year later during May of 2007 when out of the blue the phone unexpectedly rang. It was my 73-year-old mother on the other end, she called to tell me that Les just called her trying to hunt me down, he found and dug out the LiL Indian and if I still wanted it I could come and pick it up! As fast as I could get dearest Mom off the phone, I was frantically dialing Les to go and pickup the bike. I stopped by the ATM and withdrew $300.00 in cash, hoping that would be enough to seal the deal, when I arrived, the LiL Indian was parked in front of his open two-car garage sun shining down on it, beckoning me like that first girlfriend who gracefully snatched away my virginity! Les quickly came outside to greet me, saying “she’s rough but I think she’s all there”. With my heart racing, and hair standing on end I asked him as calmly as possible, “what do you want for the old girl?” Les rubbed his chin and said “well, I don’t know how about twenty dollars? I think it will run…” Needless to say, I quickly fumbled through my wallet for a twenty dollar bill and after a glass of ice tea and some more chatting was on my way home.

Interestingly enough, the LiL Indian you are looking at is just a single piece of the puzzle. Over the past two years, Les has been cleaning out to sell and move to Florida year round, Les also has sold me a ton of other cool collectibles and toys we played with as kids while growing up in the 1960s-1970s that he had bought for his son but whom had lost interest in when he left home after the divorce and still, has no interest in any of it. I swear to God, his basement looked just like it did the last time I was in it in 1969. The six 4’x8’ Aurora Model Motoring tracks were still set up and functioning with their 100’s of HO scale cars parked around them, many new in original packaging (all of which I now own) along with much more, Cox gas Thunder Drome metal cars, gas planes, vintage trains sets and on.
I’ll save those thoughts and stories for other forums. For now, my biggest decision is trying to decide if I should restored this little gem, or just hang it as is, like a rolling artifact from an ancient archeological dig. I must say it’s a tough decision. I’d love to see and hear her like she looked the day she came home from the dealership, but every time I look at her, seeing the actual history of the original smells, the dirt, grease, the dings, dents, and wear spots we put on her also brings on a warm fuzzy feeling that I feel might be lost the second the power washer and bead blaster start doing their job on her. For now, I’ll just drink a cold one, gawk and reminisce about the good old days. Besides, I have a few restorations a head of the old girl anyway. Hope this post brings back memories for everyone!

Heli

Here she sits in her final resting place next to my 1st set of wheels, my originally owned and unrestored 1960 red wagon!:

Close up of the 2-speed clutch system:

The rear drive system:

Front end with spring worthy of a 50lb kid. Note the original 1960's oil on the engine

Finally, she is not alone, some other minis and projects she hangs with in the shop

Last edited:

tomsprops

WoW You can write ! I don't think I would restore it but. I would certainlly clean it ! And start the carefull process of geting it to run again. But you'll never be able to replace it's Original Condition.It only come that way once.I would spray a thick layer of PLEDGE on it,let it soak overnite(don't wipe it down!)Then the next day spray it again and then start wiping it off. The pledge really works well to soften dirt and revive paint and vynil.
I have a feeling after looking at you collection of good stuff you know what your doing ! I also have a feeling this won't be your last mini. Get yourself another Lil'Indian and restore that one ! Keep this one intacked !

Great story iv got similar memories but with a gocart :) Im not sure what id do with the bike probrobly just clean it up and ride it till the rust wears off and call it good :thumbsup: like back in the day. Gotta love those old slot cars too. Hector NY aint too far from me :smile:

Brooklyn Bob

I really enjoyed reading your story. You always remember the first minibike you owned as a kid. That stuff seems to register in your long term memory. If you restore it or not,get her running and enjoy the hell out of her!

MINI-MATIC

Lil indian

Here's a picture of my same era Lil Indian model 600.Mine is from 1966.My bike basically looked just like yours before doing a 5 year total restoration.I didnt have this exact bike when I was a kid,or I may have opted to not restore it either.This is a rare bike,I would keep it as it is because of the history you have with it! I would just locate another Lil Indian to restore and enjoy yourself in the process.After all,a lot of the fun is in the restoring of these vintage bikes!!:scooter::smile::smile::smile:

Swell story! I agree w/those other guys - give it a bath and call it done. If you want one that looks new, find another w/less significant history for your project.

It is only original once.

In the meantime, see if your mom has any photos from years ago of your 1st Lil Indian, scan them and post 'em up. Everyone loves old photos. :thumbsup:

Here's a picture of my same era Lil Indian model 600. Mine is from 1966...
Hey, MINI-MATIC, you've been a great source of Lil Indian info lately, which I really appreciate. Both of the bikes pictured in this thread have steel wheels. Do you know which models got mags vs. steelies?

Last edited:

MINI-MATIC

Hi Tom S,The mag wheels vs the steel wheels is actually a time frame rather then which model they came on.The earliest bikes had offset aluminum/steel combo rims made by "hands" in California.These wheels were also used on a lot of go karts back in the days.They then went to a stamped steel rim until sometime in 1968.After this time,all the century series bikes came with the 4 inch mag rims as standard equipment.This was prior to Lil Indian switching from briggs motors to tecumseh,so there were some briggs equipped bikes with the 4 inch mags.Thankyou,Steve.

Thanks for the input everyone. Mini-matic, that is a beautiful restoration, I’ve enjoyed reading some of your posts and you have great knowledge of the LiL Indians! Tomsprops, the MR50 looking bike is actually a fairly complete low serial number 1971 Yamaha JT-1 that somebody repainted with a horriffic paint job. I have that one and a spare that are currently in queue to make one nice complete restoration. I would love to add an MR50 to the collection some day. Jeep2003, we go to Vestal a few times a year to eat at the Texas Roadhouse. I’m about an hour from Vestal near Ithaca in Newfield, NY.
As far as restoring the LiL Indian, I’ve pretty much made up my mind to just clean it up best I can, take the engine and clutch system part and get her running. There is a lot of clean up and rust removal to do on sprockets and the clutch assemblies, but the engine seems to turn over fine. The biggest thing that bugs me is the replaced starter shroud. It looks like crap, I am currently trying to find a replacement that matches the condition of the rest of the engine. Sad story, I talked to the owner about it, and he first asked me if LiL Indian made lawn edgers? When I asked him why he asked? He said. “The lawn edger I sold had a starter shroud that had a nice LiL Indian logo on it…” Then he said, “oh yeah, I think I switched it right before I sold it.” I asked him if he knew the buyer, hoping I could track it down but he could not recall who the buyer was…. I would have been happy to buy the owner a new shroud in exchange for the Mini’s original one…. Oh well, you never know, maybe I’ll come across that edger someday at a garage sale.
Heli

I also have a great story about these lil indian minibikes from back in the late 60's. My twin brother and i were in bed one summer nite and we hear this noise outside our bedroom window. Well we got up to take a look and my neighber had just got 2 brand new lil indian minibikes. Not one but 2?. He was yelling at his dad how fast the small frame lil indian was. I can remember that ike it was yesterday. Next morning we went over to see what was up. 2 lil indians in his garage. Small frame green minibike and a purple chopper. Both with b|s engines. Coolest minibikes i ever seen. We made real good friends real quick with that kid ill tell you that. Rode those suckers all day long. We used to fight who rode what. Never forget those cool minibikes. Those were the best of times back in the late 60's if you were a kid.

Jeep,
No they are not. I did see that post though and almost emailed about them. Did you pick them up?

Thanks to everyone who has pmed me about the LiL Indian. I have to say this is a great site and folks who have a passion for Minis are the nicest people on planet Earth!

no i didnt call about them and not sure if i want to. Iv got so much progects going on as it is. i figure if i procrastinate long enough someone else will get them and i wont have to :) if they were 50$ less i think id own them by now though

Heliyardsale, very good reminiss!!! Your words were easy on the eyes!!! I also felt a smile go across my face as the story turns to you getting the bike, but if I were your long time friend, I would be pissed if my dad sold you you the bike for $20.00, and didn't consult me, hope that's not the case!!! lol
Ofcoarse, I, too, have the devil in me so I probably wouldn't loose any sleep over it,lol
I think I would definatly clean the bike up and I also think I would make it as appealing to the eye as I could, but stay original, but then,,,, If you want to make it a little faster--
dave

This is a great bike. I just purchased one. I think i have the same one with the 2 speed jackshaft. I just redid it. I cant wait to ride it when the snow is gone.