How to clean a rusty tank??

So I hit gold today! I picked up 3 5 hp briggs for 85 bucs total and I picked up a 4hp briggs and a 5 hp tecumseh for 25 bucs total!!

the 4 hp has horrible rust in the tank, and I have several other engines that have rusty tanks. I have tried evapo rust and have not had much luck. Is there a better way to clean out rust that is also affordable?

Thanks for all the help you guys give.

I have an addiction to picking these engines up and making them run again!! I have 8 in my garage right now!! haha

C9H13NO3

So I hit gold today! I picked up 3 5 hp briggs for 85 bucs total and I picked up a 4hp briggs and a 5 hp tecumseh for 25 bucs total!!

the 4 hp has horrible rust in the tank, and I have several other engines that have rusty tanks. I have tried evapo rust and have not had much luck. Is there a better way to clean out rust that is also affordable?

Thanks for all the help you guys give.

I have an addiction to picking these engines up and making them run again!! I have 8 in my garage right now!! haha
Take some distilled vinegar or kerosene, take some metal bbs and fill the tank with distilled vinegar or kerosene and some bbs, then close the tank off and shake like crazy. Dump the solution, and repeat until everything comes out clean :thumbsup:

Take some distilled vinegar or kerosene, take some metal bbs and fill the tank with distilled vinegar or kerosene and some bbs, then close the tank off and shake like crazy. Dump the solution, and repeat until everything comes out clean :thumbsup:
Thanks for the quick reply do you mean bbs like i would shoot out of a bb gun?? lol and it is some seriously thick rust. It is absolutely nasty

C9H13NO3

Thanks for the quick reply do you mean bbs like i would shoot out of a bb gun?? lol and it is some seriously thick rust. It is absolutely nasty
Yes, some .177 bbs work great.

Steel ones work better than the copper ones. The copper ones tend to get crushed after a few good shakes.

Actually, if you take your tank to a radiator shop or a motorcycle shop (or a BIG mechanic's shop) they might be able to clean it in an ultrasound cleaner.

I recently read the same trick on a vintage motorsickle site only they used a handfull of short drywall screws...just in case your out of ammo at home :rolleyes:

hey C9 are you in India yet.?....don't drink the water :doah:

C9H13NO3

I recently read the same trick on a vintage motorsickle site only they used a handfull of short drywall screws...just in case your out of ammo at home :rolleyes:

hey C9 are you in India yet.?....don't drink the water :doah:
No I'm in NC for a week and then the end result is India. :crying:

I'd rather not go to the bathroom for 5 days then wipe my ass with my hand. I just won't do it :laugh:

So I have tried the vinegar and bb's method and it did ok but I still have quite a bit of rust. Im tired of messing around with it. I want to use some sort of acid to was the tank out completely. Have any of you done this and if so what chemical should I use and what should I do so there is no threat of a health risk??

So I have tried the vinegar and bb's method and it did ok but I still have quite a bit of rust. Im tired of messing around with it. I want to use some sort of acid to was the tank out completely. Have any of you done this and if so what chemical should I use and what should I do so there is no threat of a health risk??
Try an electrolysis bath.

Wash the tank out good with water make sure no other chemicals are in it let it dry good blow it out if you can, then pour about a 1/4 cup muriatic acid in it put the cap on roll it around for about 5 min pour it out rinse inspect and repeat till its all gone. Be in a ventilated area wear gloves and a resperator. see link for example on my mickey bike http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/50855-hey-mickey-2.html
That is just what i was looking for!! Thanks. So it is safe as long as you wear a resperator??? Also to the post above what is electrolysis?

If your outside and not sticking your nose in the tank you should be fine, when I was youger I never wore a respirator, but I know better now. So I would still recommend it :thumbsup: