How to hook up twist throttle on Briggs & Stratton I/C engines???

O.K. Everyone... I'm trying to figure out a safe, reliable & clean method of hooking up a twist grip throttle to my B&S 3.5HP I/C engine.

Anyone have any instruction and/or pics on how to do this?

I've seen some throttle kits for B&S engines listed on eBay. Anyone tried one of these kits? Are they worth buying or is it better to fabricate your own?

What all is involved in properly removing the governor for this engine?

Thank you
~JM~

125ccCrazy

pull the side cover off and remove the gov arm, plug the hole with a set screw....

Throttle is pretty simple, basically you need a clamp to hold the cable to the engine shroud, a clamp that will fasten to the throttle plate on the carb, this fitting will have a hole through it with a set screw, slide the cable through, tighten the set screw... You'll also need a return spring to pull the carb closed when you let off the throttle....

You could easily make all this but for no more than what they cost on ebay that would be the easiest route...

Personally I'd suggest a 19 or 20mm keihin or mikuni and do away with any linkage plus gain some hp...

linkage kit that can be adapted to the 3.5 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/raci...027QQitemZ400025819377QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Carb eBay Motors: 19MM Carburetor 50 - 125cc KCZ Dirt Bikes or ATV (item 160257292712 end time Jan-28-09 16:05:27 PST)

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

Will the keihin carb bolt to a 5 HP B&S ?
you'd have to measure the bolt spacing on your intake, I'm not sure if it fit the stock intake or not.. Making an intake is not a big deal or you can buy one pretty cheap..If the 5hp is stock I'd probably go with a 20mm...