How to ship a engine, the right way.

buckeye

I was shipped this engine this week.
There have been several disaster posts concerning crappy packaging for shipping a engine.
Since this was done perfectly, I thought I would share "The Right Way To Ship A Engine".

Courtesy, Rick Chatten.

All fluids were drained prior to shipping. Again ALL FLUIDS WERE DRAINED PRIOR TO SHIPPING.

Photo One: As Box Arrived

Photo Two: Disassembly of box view from the top.
Note the horizontal brace. Extra support.

Photo three, Side view.

buckeye

Photo seven bottom view after engine removal

And lastly, the bottom view

And folks, that is how you ship a engine!!!!!:thumbsup:

That's the expensive way to do it. The other way is to bolt the engine to a piece of particle board, or plywood, cover with quality plastic bag, shoot some spray foam in the box, place covered motor in the box, then shoot in more foam.

It takes three weeks to get the motor out, and another day to vacuum the garage, but it works very well, and isn't so heavy. $$$ :laugh:

buckeye

That's the expensive way to do it. The other way is to bolt the engine to a piece of particle board, or plywood, cover with quality plastic bag, shoot some spray foam in the box, place covered motor in the box, then shoot in more foam.

It takes three weeks to get the motor out, and another day to vacuum the garage, but it works very well, and isn't so heavy. $$$ :laugh:

It may be the expensive way but, this engine was perfectly protected. :thumbsup:

I don't think Rick's way is expensive:shrug:, a 4 x 8 sheet of particle board is less than six bucks, it just takes a little time. I have a NOS Briggs that came from the factory with the spray foam.....you're right, it took forever just to get it out of the damn box:laugh:

It may be the expensive way but, this engine was perfectly protected. :thumbsup:
So it is with the foam. And that shipper (from here) sends out a lot of stuff.

And the HF engine I got the other day had even less protection, but since the foam was form fitted, no problem. Unless this thread is about something else.

I don't think Rick's way is expensive:shrug:, a 4 x 8 sheet of particle board is less than six bucks, it just takes a little time. I have a NOS Briggs that came from the factory with the spray foam.....you're right, it took forever just to get it out of the damn box:laugh:
you are right Mark,spent more time in making the crate but it is how I wanted it and besides I wanted Tom to have something to do.

Wow, that IS inexpensive. Every engine I've had shipped has cost more than that, and it was in lighter packaging. I wonder why? :thumbsup: (Edit) 12" square at 48 LBS costs $248 to ship to me. No wonder I never get free stuff in the mail.

Of course I've seen stuff for free here recently, where someone posted a question asking what the shipping would be. So 40 bucks is a relative term.

And that definitely was a good shipping method. I can think of a frame I got once that I wish would have been shipped like that. I had to fix a lot of bent parts.

Last edited:

buckeye

And it took me all of 10 minutes to unpack it.
Wiped the engine down, taaaadaaaaa, purdy!
And I have a box for my wife to creatively paint and use as a plant stand. Mamas happy, I'm happy ending.:laugh:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Who was the shipper Rick? I sent an 8 horse Briggs to Indiana that weighed in at almost 50 lbs. and the shipping was $75.

3/8 plywood bolted on top and bottom.