HS40 carb help

Hello. New member here, and first time poster.

I have a a Tecumseh HS40 from a Bird minicycle I picked up over the summer. I took the carb bowl off to clean the carb, and was surprised to see the pink disk sitting in the bottom of the bowl. It appears to fit into the hole with the pink residue around it.

I need help putting this back together correctly.

Is the pink residue a type of glue? Do I need to glue it to stay in?

The disk is concaved. I am not sure if the disk should fit with the "dome" up, or down towards the bowl.

Any thoughts are appreciated; I would also appreciate a diagram of some sort. Thanks.

yep it goes in the hole with the pink gunk in it . you dont glue them in its a welsh plug what you do is clean out all the goo and put the dome towards the bowl and tap the center of the disk with a hammer . it will stay in the hole , given how your carb looks i would get a rebuild kit it has new plugs and gaskets

MNGB

Hi, the carb looks fairly corroded, the Tecumseh carbs have a metering rod in the idle circuit (the smaller round tube off the side of the main discharge tube) this rod must move freely up and do the tube you can hear it clunk/rattle by shaping the carb, if it doesn't move you will never get the engine to idle right its impossible to adjust the idle fuel flow. I have had luck with getting the rod to free up by soaking the carb in a mixture of ATF and acetone(a 50/50 mix) last one I did took about 4/5 day and some vigorous tapping on the bottom of the tube with a tack hammer.
GB in MN :scooter::hammer:

MNGB some do and some dont have the rod . there is a big thread on that .

ric03014 if i was you i would strip the carb all the way to parts and clean it up with wire brushes . get some of the cheap tooth brush looking metal ones at a car parts store or some tool shop . brass ones work all wright i use steel ones . dont buy the expensive ones you will destroy the brushes to clean up your carb .
i have cleaned up some that were in worse shape and got them to work again .
the best way i found to do it is take the carb and put it in a small paint can and cover it in lacquer thinner and let it sit for a day or more . the lacquer thinner will eat the paint off and varnish out of the carb . do not i stress DO NOT leave plastic or rubber in the lacquer it can destroy it !
then dry the carb and brush the crap and gunk to break it up and blow it out . then take a carb cleaner like the walmart brand , cheap is good you will use a can or 2 .spray it off and let it dry , check where it still needs work and keep doing till its cleaned up . if you work with the carb dry ie no carb spray or solvents on it , the crap does not stick to every thing in sight and you dont end up covered in the stuff . the gunk comes off in a dry powder , easy to blow away .