HS40 redone

markus

Just got this one painted yesterday and decaled this morning for a friend. Its an HS40 for a remote tank model Muskin/HPE Cat bike. Its got the correct (for the remote tanked cats) Tag numbers but it was a combination of parts to get it back in order like It should be (or at least really close), had to scrounge for correct bolts/nuts, bit of block work including thread-serts in a few places, bushing instert for the governor shaft, etc.. Capgun helped out by supplying a correct carb for it (I needed the right lever as usual and he had a whole carb) I was able to save the carb body with a bit of work.

they have an NOS chrome muffler for it when it goes on the bike but I threw one of mine on it for the photos so it looks complete.

Shows every sin, but I really love the black engines! Been waiting out the tree pollen to subside for the past month down here so I could this thing painted and not get too much crap in the paint :doah:

markus

Thank everyone :thumbsup:

That's a beauty HS40 markus and the Taylor muffler completes the look.

What year is this one?
Its all 1971 spec parts (with exception to new replacement recoil assembly), the bummer is the tag is Mid 1971 version, but the engine assembly is early 1971. They made changes/updates during 1971 making it kinda hard to piece one together as it should be sometimes. Most people wont catch the differences, unless your comparing it to a complete survivor engine with the same model numbers. Its what we had to work with.

markus

That looks great!! I just picked up an hs30 can’t wait to get started on it! It’s a 1971 also all original.
Sweet! Just an FYI; there is no S in engine designation on those though :wink:, I just sold a 1967-68 small frame H engine before it reached the finish line (built but not in paint) to someone on here looking for a '67 for a bike. Gonna build basically the same longblock as yours this morning, Mine are H35's actually so its just got a bigger hole in it than your H30 :laugh:. Got it pretty much finish prepped last night and some needed parts in so the longblock can go back together at least.....will start on it after another cup of coffee!!

Not sure what I will build it as yet though, I have shrouds, tanks, tags, and bolt-ons to do it either late 60's or early 70's...I'll think about that later though, I just need to condense most all though parts in the pics into one complete unit so I can clear that bench for some other stuff.

Good luck with your build :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You said early 70's parts build but mid block. I'm wondering what the original carb had for fuel inlet. The one shown has an extended armed metal elbow. Like a 69 I have. What was the elbow like on the mid carb. Short arm elbow plastic? Short elbow metal?

Also, Does your air filter cap have the four dimple welds on the end? Or is it tack welded like the 69 I have?

I believe the narrow shafts where same. However, the sealed bearing used I believe was different. Oh, they had same shroud but different throttle assemblies that just ruined my 74 tribute. I know shortly after 74 the shroud, head and other changes.
I also, Have a 74. And those are changes that I saw when doing a rob Petter, pay Paul motor build between years. Can be very frustrating when trying to pcs. together a very period correct motor. That is for sure. your motor looks great. Next you will be adding a light coil and wheel.

markus

You said early 70's parts build but mid block. I'm wondering what the original carb had for fuel inlet. The one shown has an extended armed metal elbow. Like a 69 I have. What was the elbow like on the mid carb. Short arm elbow plastic? Short elbow metal?

Also, Does your air filter cap have the four dimple welds on the end? Or is it tack welded like the 69 I have?

I believe the narrow shafts where same. However, the sealed bearing used I believe was different. Oh, they had same shroud but different throttle assemblies that just ruined my 74 tribute. I know shortly after 74 the shroud, head and other changes.
I also, Have a 74. And those are changes that I saw when doing a rob Petter, pay Paul motor build between years. Can be very frustrating when trying to pcs. together a very period correct motor. That is for sure. your motor looks great. Next you will be adding a light coil and wheel.
No, I said early 1971 parts, late 1971 serial number and date on the tag. so it does not jive 100% with the changes that were made to a couple parts just during that year.