HS50 Tec Vibration

I have a 1979/80 HS50 Tec from a snow blower on my Bonanza.
With the governor working it is OK.
With the governor bypassed and the revs up the motor vibrates pretty bad through the handle bars.

By comparison I have a 1970 Hilltopper with a H50 that seems pretty smooth with the governor bypassed and the revs up.

Is this normal?

Kevin

I guess my question should have been:
Is there any real difference between a 1960s/1970s "made for a mini bike" motor and a 1980s snow blower motor?

Yes Tom and I lunched a few Tecs in the mid 1970s. Briggs were harder to blow ... but not impossible!

*fun fact* Cereal boxes will make all but the head gasket! (yep, we tried, no, doubling up wont help either)

Shoe string, yarn, twine, kite string, wire and things I just cant remember all made fine throttle controls!
Turn your handle bars all the way to the left, tie one end to the throttle and the other to the handle bar, wrap the string over your thumb and you have throttle ...
Brakes on the other hand we not as popular ... However Converse Chuck Taylors were! (Google it, they are still sold)

Last edited:
Please someone chime in on the H60/H70 engines. I think I've read that these shouldn't be revved beyond the governed rpms because of the heavy reciprocating assembly.
If you just want to get crazy with a single cylinder engine save your H60 and pick up a $100 clone so you can beat the snot out of it and toss it later.