HS50-What is correct idle RPM (range)

Can anyone tell me what the correct idle rpm specification is (I'm assuming it is an rpm RANGE?) for these engines? I purchased one of those "Tiny Tach" Chinese knock-offs on EBay where you wrap the wire around the spark plug wire. If I have it set up correctly, it's displaying 690 rpms, and it sure seems like a nice low and smooth idle. Is that within the acceptable idle rpm range?
Thanks for any information.:scooter:

Last edited:
I'm starting to have my doubts about this :chinese: version of the "Tiny Tach":doah: Can someone with an engine and a (reliable) tach tell me what the expected idle rpm range would be?
I would assume that it would pretty similar between B & S and Tec in the 3-5 HP size engines?
Thank you,
Michael

Can ANYBODY tell me what RPM this engine (or ANY small 3-5 HP 4-stroke for that matter) should typically idle at?:shrug:

Thanks for the reply GraveBugger. I was hoping to get more replies, but Oh well...:shrug:
What I did determine, however, was that the tach I bought is a piece of crap. I could never get it "programed" correctly as per the instructions that came with it, and the rpm readout varied significantly (500+) even with the engine held at the same rpm! I do not know if all of these Chinese knock-off tachs are poor quality or if I got a lemon. I do have to give credit to the distributor I bought it from (T-Motorsports in Chino, CA), however, for when I alerted them to the problem they immediately issued me a full refund and also said "just go ahead a keep the tach", which sounds like I may not be the first one to have problems with these?:confused: If I purchase another one I'll spring the extra $$ for the (American made) "Tiny Tach".:thumbsup:

the fluctuations could be because of a bad connection? i dont know much about these, but i do know that the equipment is sensitive to minute changes soo... i guess just use it for ballpark adjustments and such, i usally do my idle tuning by ear, get where it sound good and you should hve no issues