HS50 will start and sputter, but won't run.

The title basically says it. It's got a new ignition coil; the carb has been douched quite well; it has spark, but the only way I can get any firing out of it is with the choke wide open and even then it'll sputter for a few seconds, and die. Could it be flooding itself out? It take a few pulls each time to get the sputter. I set the points at .20 and the spark plug gap at .30. Not 100% sure I got the timing set at the exact BFDC point, but it is close. Could this be the issue? I'd think I could at least get it to run, even if not too well, but run none the less if the timing wasn't perfect.

I'll check the key to be sure it's in good condition. I guess I wouldn't think the key would cause such an issue, isn't just to hold the flywheel in place and keep it from slipping?

I put the plug in my motorcycle coil and hit the starter and it definetely had good spark. The carb has been completely disassembled and cleaned.....twice. The bike quit running and was put away for a couple years. It had no spark when I began working on it so I replaced the coil and now have spark. I'm pretty certain that when I took off the ignition etc that I didn't get the timing set right when reassembling everything. I know to set the points at .20 but is there a way to know where .80 BTDC is without actually taking the head off or buying the tool that sits in the spark plug hole? I'd like to at least get it set close enough to .80 BTDC that it'll run and I'll know it does in fact run without needing any other repairs.

Last edited:
You might have a stuck valve.Pull the breather cover off and see if the valves are moving freely.Also,do a search on this site for BTDC Tec timing. Hope that helps.