Hydraulic brake failure.

Apparently I found the limits to the hydraulic rear disc brake upgrade this morning. It ripped and broke smooth off the bracket sending me down a small ditch. So who sells one that has bolts larger than tooth picks?

Where did you get the one that broke at I had same problem on my db it broke an sent me flying with out brakes I use clutch brake....

I'm tellin ya,get one of those scooter brakes and fab up a bracket to mount it,these things are beasts here's a size comparison.......

:thumbsup:

I'm tellin ya,get one of those scooter brakes and fab up a bracket to mount it,these things are beasts here's a size comparison.......

:thumbsup:
Will it accept the doodle bug's disc or do you need to change the disc out? I'm definitely looking into that after I pulled the link up you posted last night.

Will it accept the doodle bug's disc or do you need to change the disc out? I'm definitely looking into that after I pulled the link up you posted last night.
The DB rotor isn't any different from the pocket bike rotor Im using.You just going to have to figure out a different way to mount the larger caliper as it wont work with the stock bracket.Might take a little creativity to get it to work but if you can do it,this caliper won't break like the little DB one,these are made to be used on street scooters.

The DB rotor isn't any different from the pocket bike rotor Im using.You just going to have to figure out a different way to mount the larger caliper as it wont work with the stock bracket.Might take a little creativity to get it to work but if you can do it,this caliper won't break like the little DB one,these are made to be used on street scooters.
I've had it for a couple weeks now and noticed the banjo bolt is 10mm and the DB used 8mm. So I have to find a place that will make me a custom brake line and also noticed how wide that sucker is!! I'm not sure if it'll fit even if I more the disc 1/4 - 1/2" away from the tire. I could buy a different rim and tire but not going that route... once I get free time I'll mock up some stuff and post pics for anyone planning on doing this. And you weren't joking about how big that sucker is lol!

IJG

I recommend applying the brakes more gently & gradually, as I have seen they work well but don't stand a chance on an inexperienced rider/ owner.
I too seen if rolling backwards, it will bend the bracket on the frame & cause the pads to rub from being out of alignment.
Nothing's Ever Easy.

Did you crash hardcore? Looks like your db30 got a bit buggered up. How fast was your rate of travel when you im guessing locked up the brakes?

Wasn't sure on speed. At the time it had the 65th rear sprocket. The engine spins 8000-8100 rpms and it was actually when I was coasting and off the throttle. Only thing on the bike that came loose on the db30 was the rear fender bolt. If your application is on a near stock 212cc or similar engine, I don't see it failing but my guess I was going 50-53mph and coasting down and that's when the brake sheared. It was a gradual attemp the slow the bike, last thing I want is to be going that fast and lock up the rear tire by fully applying the brake all at once.

Last edited:
We have noticed that the calipers from HRMB leak a lot and have problems.
I think I might try to go with an MPC caliper on my next build, see if they are any better quality.

Funny, I was looking at the hydraulic caliper today I have from HRMB thinking it looked pathetically weak... Its pretty scary that you can go 40mph lose your brake and not have a backup.

Does anyone have a front brake on theirs?

Funny, I was looking at the hydraulic caliper today I have from HRMB thinking it looked pathetically weak... Its pretty scary that you can go 40mph lose your brake and not have a backup.

Does anyone have a front brake on theirs?
Damn it, shouldnt have posted in this thread.. mine broke today. GENTLY braking at ~20mph. I gently increased the brake strength and felt a click and my brake was stuck on. The pad dislodged and had slipped halfway out and cracked a chunk off.. Got ~3 months of gentle street use out of it - I babied that brake. Had several HRMB parts go bad, have incorrect instructions or missing info.

Any tips for taking that black back end off so I can replace the pads and inspect it? I cannot get those 5mm bolts loose.

Last edited:
I've had it for a couple weeks now and noticed the banjo bolt is 10mm and the DB used 8mm. So I have to find a place that will make me a custom brake line and also noticed how wide that sucker is!! I'm not sure if it'll fit even if I more the disc 1/4 - 1/2" away from the tire. I could buy a different rim and tire but not going that route... once I get free time I'll mock up some stuff and post pics for anyone planning on doing this. And you weren't joking about how big that sucker is lol!
Did you ever get that brake installed? Interested in the bigger brake. Did you have to get a new brake line? Seems like the hot rod mini line would work? No?

Did you ever get that brake installed? Interested in the bigger brake. Did you have to get a new brake line? Seems like the hot rod mini line would work? No?
I have not worked on it since it got hot out. I bought a Murray track 2 and got it up and going but once it cools down I'll get it going again. The hot rod mini bike line is for 8mm banjo bolts and the new hyraulic brake uses a 10mm bolt. I "rigged" up the end of the break line to see if it will hold pressure...I highly doubt it will but it's worth a try before getting a custom brake line made. I need an 8mm from the hand brake assembly and 10mm for the caliper. I can possible tap the 8mm to 10mm threads if I have no other choice.