I pulled a little Caper today.

Yeah, weird stuff going on. My rear tank mount is diamond plate on the inside (frame side) anyone else? Do you guys have a short throttle side too?
Short throttle side sounds familiar.

Also one of mine has the really stubby footpegs, and one has slightly longer ones.

Oldsalt

I took a quick glance at them last night and didn't see any numbers, and didn't feel like scraping to find them.

I did notice however that one has the upside diamond plate for an engine plate and one doesn't.

Tom
All the serial numbers i have seen [4 bikes] have them on the bottom of the engine plate about the center. The Inland pattern diamond plate was used most of the time for tank brackets and engine plates because it was 'drop off' when shearing out parts for the pick-up bumpers which was the main thing that they manufactured.

As for the different frame types, I attached a picture of an advertizement in a 1960 issue of Kart magizine which shows a very early Caper with a 2-stroke engine and the gas tank bellow the top frame rails. The price is $129. The later ads I have seen are $139 and $149 and so on, so this a very early machine. Hard to see but if you look closely you'll notice that the forks have two horizontal bars, without the usual vertical plate, that attached it to the frame. Probably very weak. Below the picture it says "Road Runner Model". The really big difference in this frame and all others is that the lower portion of the frame is a 'hoop' and does not even have the tiny stubs, that could loosly be called footpegs, that others have.

Good stuff Oldsalt. :thumbsup:

Yes Injun needs to post his numbers. :thumbdown:

Got my sticker today and boy was it well packed and shows they care. ( Fragile marked bubble envelope, box, more bubble, then cardboard)

Ohhhhh what to do? I feel like repainting/restoring it now. :doah: And finding a power bee. :doah::doah::doah:

Last edited: