I'm new and would like some help

Hi everybody I'm new and need some help figuring out what this mini bike is. I think it's a Rupp or a Fox but I am not sure. On the bottom side of the top bar it looks like there was a mount for a tank but it was cut off. Under the seat mounting plate there is a another bracket that looks like it would accept a 2"+/_ exhaust tube. The rear wheel was removed at this time because my daughter hit a rock and bent the sprocket but it's no big deal to straighten. Any help to help me figure this out would be great. Thanks everybody.

Wow, Thanks Jay I would have never found this out if I didnt join this Forum. Now I have to find the motor, exhaust, gas tank...boy my wife is going to be thrilled by this distraction.

Thanks, Rich G.

Pretty damn good a 13 yr old kid picking out a vintage bike like that....:thumbsup:

Keep at it kid...when your zombie "video game" buddies grow up they'll have to call AAA to change a flat tire for them...and you can steal their girlfriends cause your car runs....:pimp:

What I find interesting is this the first Whisker frame (which is what mine is with a Climber tank and HS40 engine) that looks just like mine. I have seen dozens and dozens of Whisker photos and they all have a thick flat frame support coming from the rear axle area, which mine does not have.

Good call. :thumbsup: What do you suppose it had for an engine originally? Sachs? Minarelli? :shrug:
All Whiskers, hard tail and spring, had Saxonette 47cc 3hp engines. Look at the cross bar behind the engine for evidence of the old mount getting ground off. Current engine baseplate was added later by someone. Exhaust mount should be about a 3" hose clamp threaded through a slot in the frame.

On the bottom side of the top bar it looks like there was a mount for a tank but it was cut off.
'71 like yours had the old style under tank mounts. Basically 2 flat pieces of bar stock with 4 holes total. Rubber grommets between the tabs and tank. Bolts straight up into the tank. Prone to leaks and fires, thus a recall and new mount style.

Hard tails are somewhat rare. Nice find. Lots of work though to turn it back into a Sachs engine model as it was originally.

I have seen dozens and dozens of Whisker photos and they all have a thick flat frame support coming from the rear axle area, which mine does not have.
Sorry, I don't quite follow you, other than the added motor plate and removed Saxonette mounts, your pics show a normal hard tail 71. 72 had wide flat swing arm and springs. Is that what you're talking about? Or do you mean the missing rear motor mount?

Wow, Thanks Jay I would have never found this out if I didnt join this Forum. Now I have to find the motor, exhaust, gas tank...boy my wife is going to be thrilled by this distraction.
Now for the painful part. Major things needed to bring this back to original would be...
- Sachs Saxonette engine (about $100-$150 w/o recoil.
- Recoil assembly for this engine ($300-$400 if you can find one)
-Bing carb ($50+)
- Sachs exhaust with header with large exit tube straight out the back, not the 1/2" 'stinger' tube out the side - ($50 to $80)
- Tank, either old or new mount style ($50+ in decent shape)
- Remove motor plate and fabricate originals, strip the black off the front forks, etc...

Lots of work and cash but a nice bike when you're done. My advice would be to leave the current engine configuration and just add the tank. Disassemble everything, clean and paint to make a nice rider. IMO

Sorry, I don't quite follow you, other than the added motor plate and removed Saxonette mounts, your pics show a normal hard tail 71. 72 had wide flat swing arm and springs. Is that what you're talking about? Or do you mean the missing rear motor mount?
You've already answered it - - every AC I've seen in pictures and ads had a 'spring' tail and what I was referring to was the crossmember the springs attach to. Dah, For the life of me I never even noticed the rear springs..... it was just the cross member that always caught my eyes. :shrug: So, now I know I have hard tail. Thanks. Great add'l info on the Sachs engine as well.

Last edited:
Yea, actually its my Daughter and she is 8 years old. Loves this thing because its real not like the Toy r us electric stuff. Rides everyday, goverened it back so I can hang with her on my road racing bicycle. I keep her running at about 15mph.