Indian Dunes

I was there in 1971 through 1974 and it was a great park to ride and race in. It had lots of open riding space and multiple tracks ones for the mini bikes and trikes and they also ran the go Karts and 1/4 midgets. there was a big motocross track running through the trees. and on the edge of Indian dunes there was a small stream that ran through the park , nothing like running down the stream on a hot summer day. They had lights around the track so we could have night time events. I sponsored a boy Todd Peterson on a Indian SE-74 just like the one hanging up in my garage today. We raced all over Los Angles at Saddle Back Park and Escape Country and Trojan Speedway. I went racing 3 to 4 nights a week and some races were out in the great California desert so no matter what your passion was there was a great time to be had and I did my best to enjoy that freedom.
I turned 66 today and these memories are vibrant in my mind like it was yesterday.
Steve

Hey Steve Happy Bday. That Indian is cool. I have many fond memories of the Dunes myself. It was my favorite park to ride. I use to be able to get there in 45 minutes in my 69 EL Camino from my house. I loved the Shadow Glen track and the TT track to the left as you were coming into the park, they use to call it a practice track a long circle track with a jump in the middle. The river was a blast too especially the jump over the river they used in the Grand prix races!!! My Buddy sent me this at work today and I had to post it. I thought some of the guys would get a kick out of it??

Happy birthday, Steve. :happybday: Great pics. Lemme know when you get tired of bumping your head on that Indian and I'll come haul it away for you. :thumbsup:

Went there a few times but never with a bike.. once I got a Drivers license and that first car all that was on the mind was cars and girls... we had alot of open fields around our place so I would just ride there... easier to get to ..

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. Just about every park for riding had it's special features. Saddle Back had the big world class Motor cross track and the hill climb called the Matterhorn .
Escape Country had 1500 acres and the hill climb called " The Wall " and lots of cactus patches to avoid. And many tracks that let in the mini bikes and trikes like Trojan , Corona Raceway, And the TT track at Perris raceway was great for the trikes.
I was a member of the first 3 wheeler club the American Tri-Wheel Racing Association
and we did a lot of family events out in the dessert. It was hard to choose what to go to. I did make 3 of the Barstow to Los Vegas Races, never came close to finishing, but what an assume event to see over 3,000 bikes head for the Bomb.
Kids today get their thrills using their thumbs on a game controller sitting in the living room and that is a shame. This history lesson is free from the heart I hope it's contagious.
Steve :scooter:

My first post here and I have to say this forum takes me way back! :scooter:

And sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I just to had to holler at Steven. I used to race in so cal way back when the Taco44 was considered top of the line and I was researching my old tracks and ran across this.

• View topic - The Time I Met Steve McQueen

Not sure the first time we met Steven, but we got to know each other at Trojan Speedway when you were sponsoring Todd Peterson with the Indian. He was my best racing buddy back then along with Rene Payne, the Moran brothers and that little freckled face kid, I think his name was Ward. :grind:

Anyhoo, I was racing a Mini Enduro and about the best I could finish was 4th and one night you was with Todd and he offered to let me ride his Indian in one of the heats, and I won! My first win ever. :thumbsup:

You gave me a sponsorship deal and now that Ill be 53 years old come Sunday, I will never forget that night as long as I live. I was 14 back then. 39 years ago. :happybday:

Thank you! You made a difference in my life and I am about to buy a Yamaha WR250R and maybe ride around the world.

Your a great man. Keep in touch. flounderflinger101@yahoo.com

Hi Gary : Well digging up the past is done here all the time and I am one here that is always tossing in stories from the past. I hope you know Todd Peterson is still active in the motorcycle business one of his web sites is www.signsbyswolen.com his Anaheim shop puts out a whole assortment of shirts and signage.
The days but mostly night races that we did especially at Trojan were fast and furious in that little bull ring. Be it trikes, mini-cycles even midgets that place was a blast for the riders as well as the spectators.
And I will wish you a very happy birthday and I hope the dreams and memories keep on coming on that Yamaha WR250R . Just how did you get to Texas ?
I wish I still had contact with Rene Payne and others they all were great riders and good kids who you could count on to give it their best handlebar to handlebar start to finish.
You will find me here all the time so keep in touch and share your adventures too.
Steve Durham :scooter: Portland, Oregon

Hi Gary : Well digging up the past is done here all the time and I am one here that is always tossing in stories from the past. I hope you know Todd Peterson is still active in the motorcycle business one of his web sites is www.signsbyswolen.com his Anaheim shop puts out a whole assortment of shirts and signage.
The days but mostly night races that we did especially at Trojan were fast and furious in that little bull ring. Be it trikes, mini-cycles even midgets that place was a blast for the riders as well as the spectators.
And I will wish you a very happy birthday and I hope the dreams and memories keep on coming on that Yamaha WR250R . Just how did you get to Texas ?
I wish I still had contact with Rene Payne and others they all were great riders and good kids who you could count on to give it their best handlebar to handlebar start to finish.
You will find me here all the time so keep in touch and share your adventures too.
Steve Durham :scooter: Portland, Oregon
Hi Steven. Thanks for the link to Todd, Ill have to look him up. I don't what happened with Rene, last I heard she suffered a kidney injury racing 125s and quit. I have been trying to look up our old crew without any luck until I ran across you.

How I got to Texas is a long story. The short version is, WORK! :wink: That was hard to find in so cal back in the 70s. :censure:

Alls good here. Married, divorced, two kids and a grandson, same gig for 27 years, and still love bikes! :scooter:

Good talking to you again Steven. Hope all is well. :thumbsup:

Ok, for my Indian Dunes story. I raced a 71 Mini Enduro there in 71-72 on the mini track and absolutely loved that track. It was far from technical, but it was fast and the traction was great.

On this particular weekend I got my first, 1st place trophy but that's not why I remember this track with such fondness.

It started like any other race day. Practice, tuning the bike etc. My Dad was watching me practice and waved me into the pits. He felt my bike was running lean, he said there should be a little smoke coming outa the pipe and he wanted to add a little oil to mix in with the methanol and ~10% Nitro mixture. :pimp:

Well he got our oil bottles mixed up and added ATF in my tank instead of 2 stroke and the weird thing is, the bike never ran better. During practice, I was beating Rene Payne for the first time ever and yes, she is a girl. A very, very fast girl!

After my 3rd practice run, I pull into the pit area and my Dad was over talking to some folks pitting next to us and at first I thought nothing of it. And when he came back he asked if I would loan and change the counter shaft on this girls bike. Her name was Terry and I'm like, sure! :shrug:

He stops me before I make it over to their pit and asks, do you know who they are?

Naw!

That's Steve, Chad and Terry McQueen!

:bowdown:

I have met Steve McQueen at Saddleback before. My Dad was the race director for the SCMBKA and during this 3 day championship thing, him and my Dad had some words when they showed up late and Chad couldn't get any practice. BooHoo! :grind:

I digress. So here I am, about to loan and change a 71 Yamaha Mini Enduro CF sprocket, on Steve McQueens Daughters mini bike, and she is close to my age and cute! :thumbsup: And here I am, a normal 14 year old boy. :eek:

Met them, changed the sprocket yadda dadda. Did I mention she was cute?

This gets better. Right before the races start, another celeb shows up and it's that annoying red headed kid from the show "The Partridge Family". Danny Bonadcue or however it's spelled. I was a Led Zeppelin guy and hated that show and that kid. The only reason I watched it was because of that dark haired chick.

Race time comes and I'm on the line with automatic transmission in my tank and to my right is Chad McQueen, Danny Bungholdouce and Rene Payne. With Steve McQueen watching. No pressure there right? :thumbsup:

The flag drops, I get the hole shot and the race is red flagged. Banny Dungholoo crashed on the starting line and gets hurt. And here I had the hole shot and since I didn't like guy, I wish I could kicked him while he was down. :doah:

Restart, I get the hole shot again and won the first moto. I am so freeking out on what just happened, I couldn't wait to get back to my pit and my Dad, but, where was my Dad?

Over there drinking beer with Steve McQueen! :angry:

What kind of Dad would want to drink beer with Steve McQueen?

Anyhoo, I won all 3 motos and took my first, 1st place trophy home, saw Danny Banaduce crash, beat Chad McQueen and when Terry McQueen asked me what she owed me for the loan and the wrenching on the CS sprocket, I said a kiss!

She gave me a kiss on the cheek. :bowdown:

This is a day, I will never forget. Indian Dunes RULED!