Induction heater to remove a stuck pully .... SWEET!! Pics (of course!)

I have an early 80s 30" cut rider mower that I have owned since 1998.
I have had to rebuild the transmission (Forward, Neutral & Reverse only), The Transaxle, front end joints/replaced the axle assembly, made a seat ... well you get the idea .. I really like this little goober ...

New drive and blade belts came in ... I needed to pull the 2-step engine pulley. Got a Harbor freight 8" 3-jaw gear puller and promptly bent the larger pulley :doah:
but it was still stuck on the shaft.
When I did get it off (but not yet) I noticed the smaller pulley was bent! Huh! I did not know that.
A quick check on eBay shows there is a replacement for $23 delivered.

My lovely wife Deb says, might just be time to buy a new one .. so I start looking new and used everywhere and decide that what I really want is my mower running ... I just need a mower to mow the back yard and pull trailers up and down the hill to my back yard.

I'm at work telling my buddy Vinnie the 3rd shift maintenance man my tale of woah, he is just shaking his head ...
Vinnie used to work on repairing heavy shop equipment, large stamping presses and the like ... when he needed heat to remove something he would need a "burn permit" you can read about them here (BORING) https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=9853&p_table=STANDARDS but the just of it is if you need fire etc you need to fill out forms and jump through hoops ...
To get around this he bought this Mini Ductor 2 flameless heat kit ...

I works by QUICKLY heating what the coils are wrapped around like the pulley shaft and not the motors shaft, meaning I didn't smoke the crankcase seal heating the pulley off!! COOL!

The following pics were taken off the web and are NOT ones I took, they are to give a visual of how the Mini Ductor 2 works.

Notice how the bolt can be held so close to the cherry red nut ...

I wish I would have taken a video but here is a quick "How it went for me" ..
I got out there this morning, put the 3 jaw on, loaded it up, wrapped the induction coil, attached it to the induction unit, 17mm box wrench in one hand, the Ductor in the other, I pushed the little red button while slowly turning the wrench, 15 seconds later, POP, the pulley moved, I held the button for 5 more seconds while quickly turning the wrench, the pulley was moving smoothly now, off it came. The crank shaft was barely warm.

I'm told the kit Vinnie lent me costs $700
He sternly warned me NOT to use it around anyone with a pacemaker.

Harquebus

THAT is a neat gizmo and would've worked a real charm for me as I've used propane torch heat 2x this week and a half to remove stuck items. I admire how the heat is extremely localized, enough so that the opposite end can be grasped bare handed.

A little rich for my blood though. :wink:

interesting..I've seen smaller versions of those used as icemaker fill tube warmers to stop icing up...i good alt for flame..yeah i was able to use a torch to heat pulley/shafts in my hvac work on large blower pulleys or fan blades

Last edited: