Installed killswitch not working

m00`

2hp Briggs and Stratton engine
Model 60102

I found the wire on the ignition coil, hooked it up to a switch and grounded the other wire from the switch onto the engine.

Pics provided
20141228_105102.jpg 20141228_105106.jpg 20141228_105113.jpg

Switch doesn't do anything

The original coil shut off wire might be coming out on the otherside or gas tank side, bikebudy is right thats just a ground wire.

m00`

Ah shit okay. Well I can't seem to find any other wire.

You mentioned the coil gap, thats a different issue I presume. It's definitely off as the coil rubs against the magnet at certain rotations. Any idea how to fix this?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Sorry, I should have resized the photo

You need to loosen the two bolts that hold the coil. You may as well take it off and find your fire wire.

It will be thw wire attached to a metal prong coming out of the coil.

Put the coil back on, snug up the bolts then back them off to just loose.

get some plain writing paper an fold it once. Slip it between the coil & the flywheel.

Tighten the bolts well, but not too tight, they are small an easy to brake.

Then remove the paper, the coil should not rub the flywheel.

Last edited:

m00`

Fixed the coil gap, thanks.

Still could not find a kill wire. Only other wire is the one that runs down to the fly wheel (is this it??). The governor linkage also has a metal linkage to somewhere near the coil but doubt that's the kill wire.

Last edited:
Thanks but got other problems now!

Not sure what I did but after fixing the coil gap the engine will no longer start. Still have spark (put my finger on the spark plug and getting shocked).

What I did:
1) Took the ignition coil off
2) Cleaned around it
3) Put it back on and fixed coil gap with some paper

Any ideas?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
You folded paper in half once, put it under all 3 polls of the coil. Allowed the coil to stick to the flywheel.
then tightened it back down, removed the paper ?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Just a thought, with that coil grinding on the flywheel, it could have started to sheer the flywheel key ?

Does the flywheel move at all ? Up down, side to side, is it loose by chance ?

Just a thought, with that coil grinding on the flywheel, it could have started to sheer the flywheel key ?

Does the flywheel move at all ? Up down, side to side, is it loose by chance ?
The only thing I could think of is that some piece of crap weird thing came off when I took the ignition coil off. I'll take a picture.

I'll see if the flywheel is loose

Attached is a picture of behind the ignition coil.

There is a silver and red wire which hook up to become the ground wire
There is black wire which I assume is the fire wire

I've also attached a picture of some weird shit that came off when I took the ignition coil off.

Is it possible that the ground wire and fire wire are touching and that 'crap' was being used to insulate wires? What kind of problems could this cause? I am getting spark when I took the spark plug with my fingers.

crap.jpg wires.jpg

- Fly wheel isn't loose
- Engine was working fine an hour before I fixed the coil gap so doubt there is a problem with the spark plug or fuel.

Last edited:
So I made sure that the fire wire and ground wire are not touching by pulling them apart using a small screw driver.

Still getting spark but engine not firing :(

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
That red wire looks like crap, be sure its not touching anything. That is your fire wire to the coil.

Bare wire is ground, I don't see the black wire, but it may be the fire wire to the points.

How does the flywheel feel?