installing harbor freight engine

after leaving my doodlebug out all winter i thought i'd give it a little tlc, hit the frame with a rattle can and am putting the harbor freight 6.5 on it. my question is what else do i need to properly fit it and make it work as well is there any tricky parts of the install? any feedback would be great, as well what other upgrades can i pull off on it?

it won't just bolt in. the stock 2.8 has a different mounting pattern than a 6.5. you'll need to drill/slot new holes. you will have to buy a new clutch too. the 6.5 has a 3/4" bore (the 2.8 is 5/8") and you'll need one for #35 chain.

the throttle hook up is different. you also need to decide if you want to keep the governor installed. do a search on here for info on the throttle, it's been covered many times.

if you remove the governor, it's generally a good idea to go with a billet rod and flywheel. those two mods will run you around $180 after shipping (check ARC Racing Home Page ). they help with performance but they're more of a safety thing. the stock rod and flywheel weren't designed to run at the RPMs you'll turn without the governor. if either of those let go, it can be very bad for you.

the best advice i can give you is to start reading in the doodlebug and honda/clone sections. you will probably find many answers to all of your questions there.

if you have any more questions, just ask.

Last edited:
bro, ctjmini, a member of this forum, sells an engine kit for the ddbug. i just finished doing the swap, dammmn! can you say torque-y

getting the kit from cjtmini is probably the easiest way to go. it allows you to just bolt it in and it comes with everything you need.