Intec 190.

Oldsalt

Does anyone know if there is any written information regarding what Animal parts, such as cam, valve springs, flywheel/ignition, head, piston, will fit an Intec 190 5.5 HP?

If, in fact, there is some interchangability that might be the easiest [and it appears cheapest] way to do a "mild" hop-up.

I did a little research on the net to find such information, but no luck. I dont want to build an all out kart motor...that info is available for us hobby guys.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Everything will swap over from the Animal. It's best to change the crank to the larger 6.5hp/Animal crank. That way you can also use the Animal rod with the piston.

The 6.5hp/Animal crank has slightly more stroke on it.

Oldsalt

MDB
Thanks for the info. I been thinking about what I wanta do with the Intec 190. Seems it would be easier to do a mild hop-up on it rather than on a 5 HP because of all the 'take-off' parts on eBay. Unused Animal cams, springs, flywheels and etc. go pretty cheap [in comparison to 5 HP parts]. Seems lots of folks buy an Animal and right off install better parts and shelf the original stuff.

When I say "mild hop-up" I mean still being able to rope start and maintain some reliability by setting a reasonable rev limit. Say 5 grand.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The cams in the Intec and Animal are the same size. The main difference is that the Animal cam is steel and the Intec is plastic. If you only want to turn 5k then you can keep your stock carb on it.

Also the factory Animal rod is a little stronger then the Intek. If you can luck up and find a Briggs World Formula rod or other parts grab them.

Oldsalt

The cams in the Intec and Animal are the same size. The main difference is that the Animal cam is steel and the Intec is plastic. If you only want to turn 5k then you can keep your stock carb on it.

Also the factory Animal rod is a little stronger then the Intek. If you can luck up and find a Briggs World Formula rod or other parts grab them.
The Animal and the Intec have cams that are the same lift, duration, and lobe centers!?!?!? Is there a big difference between the rods? Already found a junk yard 22mm carb [it's OK]. I think 5K RPM would be enough if the compression is substanually increased to make good torque at lower revs. But to take advantage of abnormally high compression the cam HAS to be a lot fatter. Am I right?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Yes the cam spec's are the same. There are aftermarket "Stock Class" cams out there that make more power then a actual box stock cam.

The rod is stronger, and it can handle more RPM then a Intec rod. They are also use in stock class kart racing. They normally turn them 7,000 RPM on alky with a aftermarket stock class cam.

I don't understand exactly what you are saying about the compression. But I think your thinking about "Bleeding off cylinder pressure" Like some of the radical race cams you may have in a race car. YES some cams work that way, but not a stock, or stock class cam. You just don't have that much cylinder pressure, or static compression like that.

Also it doesn't have anything to do with the "fatter" duration part of the cam. It has more to do with the degrees of the lobe separation. This is were you get your over lap.

Oldsalt

MDB

First, I appreciate the time you have spent answering my questions. Now I think I know what needs to be done with the Intec 190 to get a substantual performance gain. Wish there was written info regarding this subject. As far as local help... I live in Walla Walla WA. There is nothing but wheat here.

1. Install a longer duration cam. As an Animal cam is as wimpy as the one now in the Intec 190 I'll have to drop the loot for an aftermarket one.

2. Change the flywheel to the Animal item.

3. As I have a 22mm carb it will be rebuilt and installed on a manifold I'll machine from a block of aluminum.

4. Install an Animal rod and crank [from eBay or elsewhare]. If that allows about 7K RPM I'll be more than happy!

5. Change to valve better springs. Also rockers and etc. as necessary to maintain good geometry.

6. Purchase a Wiseco piston [don't know which one yet] and with it installed determine how much can be milled off the head. If it gets hard to start with a rope I can always remove thew slug and flycut it.

Anyway...That's sorta my plan. What I ment about higher compression is the fact that with a lot more of it you can use a lot more cam duration. Lower compressoin engines cannot benefit nearly as much.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

MDB

I have always had engine builders do my big motors. Always wanted to fool around with combustion chambers. I can screw up with a Briggs engine and not loose much if I screw it up. For years I have built running miniture engines [around 1/4 scale]. Have made a lot of cylinders and pistons from scratch. I want a 12 to 1 motor...thats not too much to ask, so I'll probably go against your learned advice and buy a piston. Again, thanks for your time.