Intec

Oldsalt

This is the first and only OHV mini engine that I have acquired. See attachment. The stickers say Briggs, Intec 190, 5.5 HP. It is another engine that has been stored for a few years and has just now been taken out. Don't know much about this type of motor but it seems to be a popular mill judgeing from the pictures seen on this site. Can someone tell me about this engine? My eldest son thinks it would be a good idea to pump it up a little before sticking it in a frame. Are there speed parts available for this engine? Say, a cam and info on amount the head can reasonably be milled and/or a better piston for a reasonable compression ratio. The engine has very low hours but we are not willing to spend a lot on it. There is no one in this little town that would know what they were looking at and no one to race.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
They make just about everything for that motor. You can mill the head, port it, and add a better header if you can do your own work for cheap.

Later you can get a aftermarket carb and intake. I sale them at a good price.

65ShelbyClone

Billet rods, cranks, race cams, lifters, carbs, intakes, big valves, pushrods, pistons......it's all out there and well known for the Intek series. They are popular in kart racing.

Oldsalt

Thanks guys. It is good to hear that it is a good engine. The farmer that owned it clogged up the fuel system and simply bought a new one and gave this one to me. Don't intend on increasing the red line, just get a cam that will allow it to get some cylinder filling at mid range to red line. Then mill the head to get 12 or more comp ratio. Have a milling machine so that shouldn't be a problem. We have quite a bit of 118 octane left over from last year so if it is used 15 to 1 is possible to deal with. I'm guessing at that point the main issue will be valve/piston clearance. Also, I would guess, will have to deal with resonable timing. I've heard tell there is such a thing as an offset key used to allow more lead. Tell me what you think.

65ShelbyClone

Some people use offset flywheel keys to advance the ignition while some recommend lapping the flywheel taper and using no key. The offset key is convenient if you'll have the engine apart frequently and don't want to degree it every time the flywheel is off.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
You will never reach that compression without stroking it. Just get it up to 10:1 compression and you should be happy with that.

I have a briggs WF cam with the easy start that will wake your motor up. But you will need a billet rod, matching valve train, and better then stock carb.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Some do, and some don't have the steel sleeve. None of the regular Inteks have a bearing on the mag side. But most I.C. versions have one in the side cover.