internal throttle anyone???

markus

anyone done an internal bar throttle setup yet? Problem I am finding is anything for 7/8" bars, If I do it I guess I will just lop off the end of a Z50 handlebar and graft it onto the bars of the bike.

Short of that I want a throttle setup that would at least put the exit of the cable horizontal with the assy Like the early Dellorto throttles (which are next to impossible to find. The only other unit I know of which is just as hard to locate is the Domino one that Broncco used on some of the TX bikes.

I have a spare Domino with the brakehandle which are cheap and plentiful, I am going to lop off the handle and perch and see if I can reshape to look good, but it looks like I may have to reshape some lowspots/grooves in the casting itself to make it look uniform an then I would kinda loose the ability to polish it which is not the end of the world.

If anyone knows of some type of bike that has an old school setup that might be obtainable let me know, I spent a few hours searching ebay and the web, but didn't some up with much.

cushman's have a throttle with the cable inside the handlebars if thats what you mean. Also the cable pushes instead of pulling. Parts should be available from bert barnett, b&b motorsports.

markus

cushman's have a throttle with the cable inside the handlebars if thats what you mean. Also the cable pushes instead of pulling. Parts should be available from bert barnett, b&b motorsports.
needs to be a puller and 7/8" its kinda weird, there are ton of threads about people making them or going to make them in various forums, but there is never a completed 7/8" shown, nor even a "finished" thread even stating how it worked:doah: Kinda makes me scared to lop off the the end of my taco's handlebar and try it:eek:

needs to be a puller and 7/8" its kinda weird, there are ton of threads about people making them or going to make them in various forums, but there is never a completed 7/8" shown, nor even a "finished" thread even stating how it worked:doah: Kinda makes me scared to lop off the the end of my taco's handlebar and try it:eek:
Markus, have you got pics of the one on the Taco, never heard of this before

markus

Markus, have you got pics of the one on the Taco, never heard of this before
This is for a custom build, Taco never used an internal throttle. I just want a clean look not to mention it was sort of common on very old scoots etc..

of course once I cut its sort of point of no return and alot of my experiments are epic fails :laugh:

this is the domino unit I am going to try modding later this week by cutting off the brake handle, at the very least I want the cable to run with the bar unlike a typical throttle assy.

the bonus with this is I can use a matching left side assy for the brake that has a pretty decent handle with built in return spring.

This is for a custom build, Taco never used an internal throttle. I just want a clean look not to mention it was sort of common on very old scoots etc..

the bonus with this is I can use a matching left side assy for the brake that has a pretty decent handle with built in return spring.
Thanks - my engineering mind Kinda wanted to see the inside to see how it works. Trying to see if making one is worth it or possible

markus

There are some neat premade units for 1" but not 7/8" not necessarily low budget though.

heres how a minitrial throttle is setup, you could either cut the slot in the bars or my idea was to simply cut the end off and then sleeve it onto the taco's bars. of course you need to make sure the sleeve is thin so there's room for the cable inside the bar.

A cool idea would be to have some of the inner handlebar tubes made with a chrome sleeve end that slipped over (or inside) existing bars and clamped or screwed on. could use the available z50 parts to make a complete unit. An outer sleeve woudl be more universal due to possible tubing thicknesses between different bikes/bars. Make the sleeve sort of same width/style as something like this so its sort of matches the brake lever. to keep things "even". downside is your putting alot of faith in a rather small clamped on area to hole the end of your handlebar on :eek:

markus

of course once I cut its sort of point of no return and alot of my experiments are epic fails :laugh:

this is the domino unit I am going to try modding later this week by cutting off the brake handle, at the very least I want the cable to run with the bar unlike a typical throttle assy.

this morning I broke out the cut off saw to one of these Domino assys I had that was already damaged to see if I could modify it. My test subject was a pretty beat up used one (you can see a bunch of dings on the casing) just as I didnt want to ruin the good useable one pictured above if this did not work. I didnt spend any time sanding an polishing just a quick shaping, media blast, and right to the polishing wheel just to get a sense of how it will look

not bad, :shrug: