Is lubing a TC correct?

I heard or read somewhere that a torque converter needs an occasion lubing. IIRC the inside of the brass fitting on the drive shaft, and also the inside of the TC cover.
It said to use a dry molly. I went to a few auto parts stores and no one heard of such a thing.

Does the TC really need lubing, and would graphite work?

Joe

I'm going with "seat of my pants" on this one and say lube is not necessary and can cause problems if it gets between the belt and surfaces. I cant find any factory maintenance recomendations ... maybe a suitable lube is avaialble now .. has anyone used it?
Cleaning however is a good idea!

I'm going with "seat of my pants" on this one and say lube is not necessary and can cause problems if it gets between the belt and surfaces. I cant find any factory maintenance recomendations ... maybe a suitable lube is avaialble now .. has anyone used it?
Cleaning however is a good idea!
I'm kind of on the fence with this whole thing, for I only saw the one article.

I heard lube, don't lube etc.
I purchased the Comet dry lube pictured, disassembled cleaned and reassembled the TAV2 with the lube and it works real smooth now much better.
YMMV but the proper lube applied in the proper way seems to work well.

Well its time to change my pants!
With positive reviews from reputable sources I too will be purchasing Comet GP730A ....

On a similar note I had a new Chinese Driver and Driven show up .. I just installed them an hour ago .. in the driven where the weights are there was a dark grey dried venire of paste(?) on the mating surfaces. I am guessing this is lube.
So even the Chinese are using something ...

Kevin,
Was that a direct bolt on/replacement for the OEM Comet T.C. with no "modifications" needed?
Michael
Correct.
As far as spring hole location goes if you move yours give us a review.

I have a small sandy hill on my street for testing.. from an idle at the bottom and me at 280lbs it climbed it with zero hesitation or bogging.

Story telling time : Way back in 1973 D & D became a licensed DMV agent. So I decided to take the Shop Tri-Sport RTS-8 and make it street legal so I did all the hookup's for lights and would use hand signals for turn indications. Well our American Tri Wheel race was to be held in Perris, California about 65 miles away. So I took off from Signal Hill from the store at about 6 PM headed down the coast highway US101 and my top speed was around 35 and everyone was doing over 60 to 80 MPH so I was running the edge of the road and a CHP officer stopped me and said I was nuts and in much danger. Well I made it all the way down to San Juan Capistrano and headed inland to the # 74 Ortega Hwy and this road was full of up's and down's and my torque converter began to stick in high and when I needed to be back in low gear it would not respond. So I pulled off the road and found a rock and smacked the driver and pow it would close and after 5 or 6 times I kept the rock in my lap. I made the climb up to the top of the pass and it was very cold and crystal clear and the moon lit up the entire valley and Lake Elsinore below. Well it was a fast ride down the mountain and through the very quiet town as it was about 2:30 AM and I was trikeing along and I got passed by a Riverside county sheriff and of course he flipped a U-turn and came back after me And wouldn't you know I had two unpaid speeding tickets. Well they made me leave my Tri-Sport along side the road and I got to ride back to Lake Elsinore in their Dodge. I just wish I would have had a can of Comet Dry lube and then possible the timing would have been different. LOL Yes I always have a can of original Comet spry.
Steve

Times just aren't like they used to be when people in shops knew what was what, and beyond that, knew where what was what.
Dry moly is just about if not the same thing.
I needed the dry moly, a ring compressor, some plasti-guage and some valve grinding compound.

I went into O'rileys's (formerly checker) and inquired about all four items, and where they could be found. The guy looked at me as if I had just asked for some cocaine and hookers.

I went across the street to autozone, got the same treatment, and was basically told to go look for it myself.

I found a ring compressor.

I was always using the dry film comet spray, Works great first few times. another guy said all he uses is chain lube! I cleaned and coated the springs etc. in my driver clutch,Comet 40. Im on my second summer not having to tear down the driver. I don't have a lot of dust and no mud conditions, But drive it almost every day. So im gonna use chain lube again. Ive never seen the grease on the sheaves. just my experience and many cans of graphite spray lube, But to keep faith with post, Dri-Slide Lock lube is at most hardware stores, and shake it till ya here the bb's rattle. Usually has a long needle applicator also?

Times just aren't like they used to be when people in shops knew what was what, and beyond that, knew where what was what.
Dry moly is just about if not the same thing.
I needed the dry moly, a ring compressor, some plasti-guage and some valve grinding compound.

I went into O'rileys's (formerly checker) and inquired about all four items, and where they could be found. The guy looked at me as if I had just asked for some cocaine and hookers.

I went across the street to autozone, got the same treatment, and was basically told to go look for it myself.

I found a ring compressor.
The problem with auto parts stores now is the only vehicle knowledge required is to know how to make it take you to work. They hire based on if you know how to punch stuff in a keyboard. Years ago my best friend was a manager at auto zone. He had just got out of the service and didn't have a car so I would give him a ride home because he got off 30 minutes after me. I would often send the new hires on wild goose chases looking for sparkplug wires for a cummings ram or a radiator for an air cooled vw beetle while I waited if the store was slow. Some of them would fall for it multiple times:doah:

Last edited:
I went to radio-shack that is also an aplliance repair shop. looking for a buss fuse for my generic microwave,,The guy working said I should go to an electronics store? Speech-less I just walked away , went home and ordered a 10 pack on amazon...