Is there a rupp chain tensioner

Got my 68 rupp c500 on the road today and I snapped the chain while riding my guess from too much suspension movement. Is there a factory spring loaded tensioner for this bike to keep the chain looser.

maverick1

Google Rupp chain tensioner and the first photo that comes up, looks like a flat piece of metal with a nylon wheel on it. That is what Is on my continental.

maverick1

I have a Subaru Robin engine on it without a tensioner. If I remember correctly it attached to the side case of the Tecumseh and not sure where the spring went. Someone with a lot more knowledge will probably chime in.

markus

Powerdydne looks to have copied the one shown on the C500, sprint, and digger parts listings. of course you never see them on anything so that probably means they didn't hold up too well. I have seen the white guide piece for sale before but never the torsion spring/arm thingy, it bolted to the engine plate.

this photo has a good shot of it:

capguncowboy

I have one on my TT500, I took some pictures, but there isn't really a good angle but I did the best I could. I didn't take it off the bike when I was cleaning it because it looked like it would be easy to break

man thats a cheezy design. i guess my bike is different than yours i have no jackshaft on my frame just a very long chain from the clutch to sprocket . mines a c500 with no shaft. the tt like yours has the shaft. i guess does a continental or any others have a different tensioner.
awesome pictures thanks for the help.

wow....you are only the second person I've ever heard of -- beside me -- that has a C-500......extremely rare. Yes, they did make chain tensioners......just a piece of heavy steel wire bent up with a round plastic piece the chain passes through. It's sacrificial.....the chain chews it up over time.