Is this another Road to Hell

My next door neighbours are really good folks, but have been having a tough time lately. The Company George worked for went bang and he's been keeping himself busy at home with odd jobs, but not a salary.

Two of there kids are now in high school, one on Marlene's way to work so she lifts him for free. Renier however is out the way.

Good news is Dad got a job, but he's north of the city, Renier East and Mom at the back South.

Sorry for the long expilation, but it will all make sense soon.

They bought a 125 scooter for Renier:doah:what a piece of crap, not really there fault the pannels were scuffed and the body work bad, but its the dad's trade and he got it looking good as new, only it don't run so good as new.

All we need to do to save petrol money is get Renier to and from School to save on transport costs his moms round trip in the morning is killer. It was a bit of a stretch, but nothing that would take food off my kids plates.

I decided to buy a used 125 Bashan scrambler $500, I was puttering with it on the weekend - Redid the exhahust , lights , reset the breaks etc. Shes a clean runner. I'll register it on my name, and then let Renier use it for two years till he's done with school.

So am I heading down a road to hell, or should I go on faith that this will work out fine:shrug:

Don't know South Africa laws, but in the USA, letting someone else use a vehicle registered to you could make you liable if there is an issue.

You have a big heart for doing this! Just make sure where you stand as far as liability.

Here, I would register it to him, but with a written and notarized agreement that when he was done with school it would be returned.

And then for a graduation present, give it to him. I am thinking of doing something close to this for my son-in-law with a truck I have he wants.

Last edited:
Don't know South Africa laws, but in the USA, letting someone else use a vehicle registered to you could make you liable if there is an issue.

You have a big heart for doing this! Just make sure where you stand as far as liability.

Here, I would register it to him, but with a written and notarized agreement that when he was done with school it would be returned.

And then for a graduation present, give it to him. I am thinking of doing something close to this for my son-in-law with a truck I have he wants.
Have an emergency services meeting on Thursday will check with the traffic chief on Liability.

Thats the coolest idea out - graduation present:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hey Dan thats a great thing your doing but as others have mentioned just cover your arse in case it all goes bad

I have a bike that I am rebuild to give to my younger brother
He could afford to buy a new big dollar harley or what ever he wanted but his wife is not real suportive plus he hasnt been on a bike for years

That brings me back to your situation
Does the young lad have a hike licrnse and experience on the street

WLB

Tank, you are obviously a very kind and caring person and I applaud your effort to help a friend and neighbor.

As others have pointed out, there could be some serious liability issues, particularly with a child involved. Here in "sue anyone that has ever touched it" America, attorneys would likely claim you should have known you were providing a minor with a potentially dangerous item. If you have an attorney friend you might get his advice on how to transfer the bike and limit your liability.

Thanks lads and K.

Very valid points. I reckon all in or nothing then. He has been riding a scooter for three months now and Sunday I let him take the scrambler round the block following him on my bike. He did great.

But definitely good points made gang:thumbsup: Thanks