Its a 70's Thing

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Well, by request I'm going to show a bit of this build. Its going to be on the Quick, quick.
as we are trying to have it done for Christmas.

I Checked the braze at the head tube,( Thanks Markus ) I can't find a problem.
So I think they were just trying to fill the welds and make them pretty / or smooth.

I cut off any tabs or un-necessary bits of metal, kept the brake hanger on the left for a possible chain tensioner.

Cleaned all the paint off the frame and forks today. The fork also needed some custom fitting which I will explain.

The spots you just can't reach with the wire wheel. I use a pluming touch and wire brush.
Just heat the area well ( not red hot ) once its hot, use the wire brush an the paint comes right off.

Because this bike originally had 4" wheels and I upgraded it to 6". The front fork is JUST wide enough
for the 4.00 X 6" to fit. The sides of the tire were just rubbing the fork.

Trick I learned is to take two thick flat bars of steel. Drill large bolt holes to withstand some pressure.
I only want to squish one side, so you can use a half section of pipe, block of wood drilled and cut in half OR
use a BMX handle bar clamp like I did. Works as long as your fork is 7/8" tubing.

By doing this you create a press.

Install in the required location, be sure its centered.

Tighten the nuts evenly.

Just tighten until your required needs.

Now that you created a one sided indent the tire will no longer rub the fork.

I recovered the Back rest pad last night and its now installed to the new sissy bar. no photo.

Bike will be painted a heavy Blue Metal flake. Forks will be Silver Metal flake as well the engine.

Going to try and do the Cyl and head Black.

New Grips, Cables / housing's, choke cable, etc. more to come. :thumbsup:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Yes, its a two stroke.

Buckeye, I only heat an area if I have to do a hard to get spot by hand and a wire brush.

Also, Painted the fork and tank tonight. Tank is more like a base coat for the Blue.

Engine needs to be degreased and washed before I do any paint with it.

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Paint is on ! but the engine, that is.

Steering holes were egg shaped, so I welded Washers top and bottom.

This needs a new front fender from OldMiniBikes.___ A, himmm, Santa ? :xmas-smiley-016:

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
If I should decal this, what should I do ?

Old school it, an use decals like what's on the racing mower?

I have some Harley Davidson decals to ?

What do you guys think? It is a bit of a NO NAME bike.....?

Last edited:
:clap::clap::clap: (hopefully I wasn't the only one requesting a build thread) Something about this bike... the 6" wheels are going to really fill it out

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Just the fuel tank mostly.

And WHAT THE HECK ! I'm trying to work on Mini Bike's here.

Knock it off :scared:

Last edited:
DAMN! I have been inside locked away in my office for the last 7 hours... I hope that's staying up your way :no: Perth country - just north of London has been completely shut down for the last 24 hours...OPP has "every road closed" :freakout:

Ummmmm you guys are in the great white north :doah: We are getting snow tonight into tomorrow but then its changing to rain and will be in the 50's on Sunday :laugh:

As for the decal question... Not sure what those back strips on the tank are (straps?) if those were staying I wouldn't clutter the tank but if they are gone then a few old school decals would look. don't let me influence any decisions though.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Here is the laugh, The black strips ( is the electrical tape ) they were holding the tank to the frame with :laugh:

I'll be using two stainless hose clamps.

No photos tonight, just came in from the shop ( to darn cold )

However, before I gave up. The springer fork is on the frame. Fenders are on as well as the Engine !

So are the wheels, still working on throttle, brake, clutch, etc....

Also, still got to get onto covering the seat. Seat and back rest got new wood and blind nuts as well. :scooter:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Incident report;

Left Hand, Grinder nick, Minor

Left Hand, Wire wheel scrub, Medium minor

Left eye, bit of metal, went to hospital for removal. Major

An Yes, believe it or not I painted all using one eye, :laugh:

:eek:hmy: holy! Hopefully no lasting damage! I guess that's the trade off up here - tons of snow but you didn't have to remortgage your house to get that bit removed... I don't even clean carbs anymore with out my safety glasses. Saw a video on youtube of a guy getting steel removed from his eye and that was enough for me. :cool2:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
CAUTION, your tummy may roll :repuke:

Now onto better things,

Getting lots done, Seat is recovered ( A blind man would be happy to see it ) not Karen quality but, it will do.

Funny I thought the material was black but, its dark blue and works well with the paint, LOL

Throttle and brake, all are very adjustable. Note multi hole return spring bracket I made.

Springer fork, I revamped with a bicycle shock spring. ( kids bike )

An one more just for the Tease....:laugh:

Last edited: