JB weld doesn't work very well to build intake manifold

GustoGuy

After 3 years my intake manifold near the cylinder head started to crack and my bike was misfiring at higher rpms. Since the intake manifold is a combination of aluminum intake flanges and copper pipe I decided to buy solder that can be used to adhere aluminum to copper. The solder has a relatively low melting point of 381 degrees Farehite which should be more than good enough because no matter how much I ride the bike it never exceeds more than very warm to the touch right where it bolts up to the cylinder head. By the carburetor it is just slightly warm to the touch so the 381 degree melting point should work well. I then used my high temp JB weld as high temp filler to smooth out the soldered joints. Once dry I will sand it smooth and then use high temperature Brake caliper paint to make the manifold look nice.

Attachments

This is why we call it a hobby. Projects never end.
Thank you for posting your results. The copper pipe and solder are an inspiration! I love it!
Never give up, never give in!

GustoGuy

This is why we call it a hobby. Projects never end.
Thank you for posting your results. The copper pipe and solder are an inspiration! I love it!
Never give up, never give in!
Thanks. Being I have a resto-mod Rupp there are very few if any intake manifolds which will work. I decided to solder the joints together and it is the same solder that is used to attach copper to aluminum in air-conditioning units. A/C units can hit as much as 300 psi on the high side and this stuff is made to solder these joints so it should work well in a relatively low pressure intake manifold.

kayde

Perhaps a carb brace for cheap insurance.

I bet it cracked when your bike was crashed and simply got worse.

Sometimes I warm up jb weld with a heat gun before mixing as it tends to flow in gaps and lay out smoother, learned that one cold winter day when my jb tubes were rock hard cold.

After 3 years my intake manifold near the cylinder head started to crack and my bike was misfiring at higher rpms. Since the intake manifold is a combination of aluminum intake flanges and copper pipe I decided to buy solder that can be used to adhere aluminum to copper. The solder has a relatively low melting point of 381 degrees Farehite which should be more than good enough because no matter how much I ride the bike it never exceeds more than very warm to the touch right where it bolts up to the cylinder head. By the carburetor it is just slightly warm to the touch so the 381 degree melting point should work well. I then used my high temp JB weld as high temp filler to smooth out the soldered joints. Once dry I will sand it smooth and then use high temperature Brake caliper paint to make the manifold look nice.
Are you just trying to make a slanted intake? Or one a DELLORTO slides onto? @GustoGuy