JC Agajanian Aggie 98 Unicorn!

River Rat Ron

I always wanted one of the first ones built in 1968 with the JDE/mickey wheels round numberplate and suspended seat. Only ever seen one mostly complete pop up on here many years ago. While they based most their line of bikes off the Mickey bike design when they took that over in '68, they went off the rails with the 98's :D
I noticed in the ad that accompanied your post said two speed transmission in spite of using a centrifical clutch.
Curious how that was accomplished….I’m guessing using the jack shaft 2 gears / pulleys and a synchro assembly of some type ? Trying to wrap my head around the mechanics.

I googled it….duh….so there are dumb questions after all :D

Last edited:
Very interesting. I thought the one I've had for years had been hacked on. The band brake mount and scrub brake stopper looked pretty homemade, as well as the #41 chain seemed a bit overkill. looks just like yours, my motor is a '78, so around the same timeframe.
aggie rear.jpg

KIMG9568.JPG

Last edited:

Lizardking

Very interesting. I thought the one I've had for years had been hacked on. The band brake mount and scrub brake stopper looked pretty homemade, as well as the #41 chain seemed a bit overkill. looks just like yours, my motor is a '78, so around the same timeframe.
View attachment 297362

View attachment 297361
The Aggie 98's I've seen have been as you described. I'm still learning but going to say that the late models had the rear shocks like mine. I've seen your shocks on the earlier models. Any chance it's a 69 or changed engine since 77 were supposedly the last year made according to the article?

Here's a 69 with those shocks.

Attachments

The Aggie 98's I've seen have been as you described. I'm still learning but going to say that the late models had the rear shocks like mine. I've seen your shocks on the earlier models. Any chance it's a 69 or changed engine since 77 were supposedly the last year made according to the article?

Here's a 69 with those shocks.
Anything is possible, the motor could have been changed in the past. However, as stated previously I also have a hard time believing the dating of the Pit racer article. I did have a set of those funky shocks made up years ago, but I have seen both styles on various bikes over the years.

Lizardking

Anything is possible, the motor could have been changed in the past. However, as stated previously I also have a hard time believing the dating of the Pit racer article. I did have a set of those funky shocks made up years ago, but I have seen both styles on various bikes over the years.
Regardless of the date mistakes on that article, the Aggies are cool bikes. Your absolutely right on the possibilities and I'm here still learning from this great community!

How's your Aggie coming along?

Lizardking

I was working on getting the Aggie running right since it would struggle to turn on and at wot. I removed the idle needle/jet to see if it was dirty from sitting but it wasn't the culprit.

It would start easy with some gas down the carb. I knew the carb had been rebuilt so I focused on the pick up tube thinking it had a crack or hole. Thankfully it was just the brass pick up tube that wasn't connected to the carburetor so I just had to tap it back into the carb. Briggs starts easy on first pull now. Hope this helps someone else.

Now for a noob question..... Is this some kind of brake lock on the hand lever? I've seen brake lever locks on the old bmx freestyle bikes but don't look like this lever. I've sprayed some Kroil on it before I try to get it moving. The trigger doesn't move and don't want to force it. Brake lever works fine though. Any input will be appreciated!
20221231_113854.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: