JC Agajanian Aggie 98 Unicorn!

Lizardking

This Unicorn might only exist in my world! Lol... Scratching this one off my list!! Time for show and tell.!!! Enjoy!

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to own this 1977 gem with a smidge of cool history! It was on a Pit Racer magazine issue in 2007! Thanks to a great person to meet and deal with @CLH!
d3cb2910.jpg

According to Faas Jr owner of KOL at the time, the 1977's were the last of the Aggie 98's and only 4-5k made for the 76-77 bikes. This one has almost all its original parts including the original stand used and provided by the magazine!
20221214_122939.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

markus

I always wanted one of the first ones built in 1968 with the JDE/mickey wheels round numberplate and suspended seat. Only ever seen one mostly complete pop up on here many years ago. While they based most their line of bikes off the Mickey bike design when they took that over in '68, they went off the rails with the 98's :D Aggie_98_Add_Nov_1968.jpg

Lizardking

I always wanted one of the first ones built in 1968 with the JDE/mickey wheels round numberplate and suspended seat. Only ever seen one mostly complete pop up on here many years ago. While they based most their line of bikes off the Mickey bike design when they took that over in '68, they went off the rails with the 98's :D View attachment 297221
Didn't kol take over the Mickey bike late 69 early 70? In the Pit Racer interview it states that Faas Jr bought out M/T bikes in the early 70's. I've read somewhere that they took over or had talks about it late 69.

Did KOL ever get back to you when they reached out about your KOL Mickey?

markus

Didn't kol take over the Mickey bike late 69 early 70? In the Pit Racer interview it states that Faas Jr bought out M/T bikes in the early 70's. I've read somewhere that they took over or had talks about it late 69.

Did KOL ever get back to you when they reached out about your KOL Mickey?

there is a documentation from a buyers guide that I think was from a karting magazine from 1968 showing that KOL was now handling the Mickey bikes, I wont comment on the the article that goes along with your bike, I had a hard time believing the dating in that article when I saw it posted on minidoodle site years ago and still do, but I there is nothing really to ay otherwise.

Lizardking

there is a documentation from a buyers guide that I think was from a karting magazine from 1968 showing that KOL was now handling the Mickey bikes, I wont comment on the the article that goes along with your bike, I had a hard time believing the dating in that article when I saw it posted on minidoodle site years ago and still do, but I there is nothing really to ay otherwise.
Do you have the documentation or copy of it showing the date? I wonder where the person writing the article got his dates from? I got the impression that he got those dates from Faas Jr..

I have seen a survivor 69 Aggie 98 dated from the engine a couple of years ago. I would like to know your thoughts about it and don't doubt what you say about the takeover dates.

I'm going to keep the Pit Racer interview with the Aggie incase I ever sell it. I can add that the date of KOL buying the Mickey bike is wrong.

Last edited:
This Unicorn might only exist in my world! Lol... Scratching this one off my list!! Time for show and tell.!!! Enjoy!

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to own this 1977 gem with a smidge of cool history! It was on a Pit Racer magazine issue in 2007! Thanks to a great person to meet and deal with @CLH!
View attachment 297186

According to Faas Jr owner of KOL at the time, the 1977's were the last of the Aggie 98's and only 4-5k made for the 76-77 bikes. This one has almost all its original parts including the original stand used and provided by the magazine!
View attachment 297188
HELL YEAH!

markus

This is from the 1968 magazine mini bike article. it also coincides with Penneys briefly offering the Mickey bike early that year in the catalog.

1671536412052.png

Penney's earliest mini bikes I can find is a newspaper advertisement dated early Nov. 1967 introducing the "new Foremost mini bikes", bike shown is of course the ARCO (seen also in the catalog with the mickey bike), so they, the mickey bikes, may have been offered Christmas '67 which would mean that KOL actually was in control sometime during 1967 but there was not mention of it in the add. By Nov of 1968 they were already hawking the First Bird made version bikes in newspaper adds (newspapers were the quickest to go to print with new items of course) magazines and catalogs were pretty far back.

Lizardking

This is from the 1968 magazine mini bike article. it also coincides with Penneys briefly offering the Mickey bike early that year in the catalog.

View attachment 297260

Penney's earliest mini bikes I can find is a newspaper advertisement dated early Nov. 1967 introducing the "new Foremost mini bikes", bike shown is of course the ARCO (seen also in the catalog with the mickey bike), so they, the mickey bikes, may have been offered Christmas '67 which would mean that KOL actually was in control sometime during 1967 but there was not mention of it in the add. By Nov of 1968 they were already hawking the First Bird made version bikes in newspaper adds (newspapers were the quickest to go to print with new items of course) magazines and catalogs were pretty far back.
That's some great information right there! Looks like they took over during the one piece plate, brake pivot and axle tabs.

When did the Mickey bike first come out?

Lizardking

I always wanted one of the first ones built in 1968 with the JDE/mickey wheels round numberplate and suspended seat. Only ever seen one mostly complete pop up on here many years ago. While they based most their line of bikes off the Mickey bike design when they took that over in '68, they went off the rails with the 98's :D View attachment 297221
Now I want one of those first Aggie 98's before they went off the rails!!!! ;)

markus

Now I want one of those first Aggie 98's before they went off the rails!!!! ;)
yea they were pretty neat looking, even without the suspended seat on it! most 97/98's you will see out in the world were probably 1969 models. that was the year that MW sold/advertised the aggie lineup of bikes

1671542660915.png

Far as first mickeys, I am sure you can find that info online somewhere, there were a few revisions during that time with the Badged "genuine" bikes.

Lizardking

yea they were pretty neat looking, even without the suspended seat on it! most 97/98's you will see out in the world were probably 1969 models. that was the year that MW sold/advertised the aggie lineup of bikes

View attachment 297261

Far as first mickeys, I am sure you can find that info online somewhere, there were a few revisions during that time with the Badged "genuine" bikes.
What a challenge it's going to be to find one of those 98's, but I live in the right place if I'm ever going to find one ! I have been reading up on the Aggies since I purchased the 98. The old KOL location isn't far from me!

I've read about the steel badge then cast badge but don't remember reading what year the Mickey bike came out. I'm sure I'm not asking anything that hasn't already been asked. But it's fun to conversate about things we like!

Last edited: