Just accidentally grinded my welds and tube, it looks like crap. What do i do now?

Hey guys, im new to fabricating. I welded this tube for the brake caliper on with a harbor freight flux welder. I was cleaning off the splatter with a grinder and then got carried away and ended up grinding the welds and it kept looking worse and worse. I'm not sure what to do from here and how to prepare it for paint... I attached photos of the damage, and then comparison photos to the welds of what the metal tubes look like on a different section. Any advice or steps to get this ready for paint?

IMG_5996.jpg this is my initial weld/light grinding

IMG_5997.jpg went a little overboard on the grinding

IMG_5998.jpg IMG_5999.jpg and these are the beautiful welds that my old coworker did for me 3 years ago (this is on a different part of the frame)

There is a big texture difference between the two on the frame. Am i screwed? I just have no idea what to do.

Hey guys, im new to fabricating. I welded this tube for the brake caliper on with a harbor freight flux welder. I was cleaning off the splatter with a grinder and then got carried away and ended up grinding the welds and it kept looking worse and worse. I'm not sure what to do from here and how to prepare it for paint... I attached photos of the damage, and then comparison photos to the welds of what the metal tubes look like on a different section. Any advice or steps to get this ready for paint?

View attachment 304702 this is my initial weld/light grinding

View attachment 304703 went a little overboard on the grinding

View attachment 304704 View attachment 304705 and these are the beautiful welds that my old coworker did for me 3 years ago (this is on a different part of the frame)

There is a big texture difference between the two on the frame. Am i screwed? I just have no idea what to do.
Go find that "old coworker" and have HIM redo your welds! - LOL
Michael

Harquebus

I think you need a less aggressive grinding medium. You need a medium grit flap disc or something flexible that doesn't create flat spots where you grind. Keep the grinder moving back and forth over the circumference of the tube as well.

But cosmetically, the 3rd and 4th photos look fine. I like visible welds as do most.

Alright, there seems to be some confusion on the part that is fucked up lol. Its the 2ND PHOTO. HOW DO I FIX the 2nd photo? I moved to a different state so i can't get my old co-worker to do it.

I don’t see any issue either. If it were mine, I‘d just hit all those areas with some 80 grit on a DA sander real well, and give a heavy blast of primer, or as I used to do for minor imperfections, prime the welds, and then use some 3M body seam sealer in the caulk tube. Once you smear it on, dip your finger in lacquer thinner and smooth it out. Done and no mixing or sanding.

I will say, you'd be much happier using shielding gas and regular wire VS flux core wire. Flux core is very smoky and lots of spatter as you have found out. Flux core does have its place, though. I keep a small flux core machine around for welding outdoors where the shielding gas can get blown away by the wind.
Flux core pretty much always needs tons of cleanup, so no shame in grinding your welds when using it.

Harquebus

...Its the 2ND PHOTO. HOW DO I FIX the 2nd photo? I moved to a different state so i can't get my old co-worker to do it.
Maybe show us some pics of what you want it to look like? The 2nd photo looks outstanding compared to the usual factory-made bike frame standards. A good way to reveal imperfections is to hit it with some gray primer as it will hide all the reflections on the bare metal.