Just picked this Sears mini up

Check out this sears mini bike. I'm guessing it's a Roper? I could be wrong. I'd love to know the year it was made but that's probably a long shot.

Can any one help identify the Craftsman motor for me? I think I need a carb rebuild cause once I fill the tank up with gas it just pours out of the bowl badly.

markus

Thanks man. So I should be looking for parts for a Tecumseh h40 engine?

No HS40.......an H40 is same horsepower but physically larger engine, so depending on what you search you could get the incorrect parts. When Tecumseh created the 4hp around 1968 and 5hp in 1972 in the smaller size they already had and sold 4-5 hp but they were the larger "medium frame" size. So they had to add the S to differentiate the models H=horizontal S=small frame

Nice mini , I have one I need to get to work on but too many projects , lol . Do yourself a favor and buy a new knock-off Tec carb from OldMiniBikes , $20 or so , it'll be the best money you could spend , In my opinion it doesn't pay to rebuild it , too cheap to replace it !!

No HS40.......an H40 is same horsepower but physically larger engine, so depending on what you search you could get the incorrect parts. When Tecumseh created the 4hp around 1968 and 5hp in 1972 in the smaller size they already had and sold 4-5 hp but they were the larger "medium frame" size. So they had to add the S to differentiate the models H=horizontal S=small frame
Thanks for clearing this up for me! I did a little cross reference on the craftsman to tecumseh and it was a HS40 55363D :thumbsup:

Now I just need to find some parts to either rebuild the carb or replace it. I checked out OMBW and they make a few different carbs for an HS40. Which one do I get? Do I have to look for a specific one?

Thanks for clearing this up for me! I did a little cross reference on the craftsman to tecumseh and it was a HS40 55363D :thumbsup:

Now I just need to find some parts to either rebuild the carb or replace it. I checked out OMBW and they make a few different carbs for an HS40. Which one do I get? Do I have to look for a specific one?
Ask Chad @ OldMiniBikes , pretty sure the ones I've bought are basically universal HS30-HS50 , he'll hook ya up !

Nice mini , I have one I need to get to work on but too many projects , lol . Do yourself a favor and buy a new knock-off Tec carb from OldMiniBikes , $20 or so , it'll be the best money you could spend , In my opinion it doesn't pay to rebuild it , too cheap to replace it !!
It's like 6 bucks different from a new knockoff carb and a rebuild kit. Recently picked one up and I couldn't be happier.