Kawasaki Jalopy/RatRod!!!

Here's my Kawasaki Coyote I've been working on for awhile now, and when I started I wasn't sure how it would turn out, so I never started a project log. It's not done, but I'm pretty proud of how it's turning out!!! :cool:

A couple of before pics.

And a couple of somewhat current pics.

I've done a lot of work to get the stance I wanted, and all of the bearings are American sizes now. I know the forks and bars are incorrect. I'm still working on a clutch band brake, clutch cover, rear fender, chain tensioner, etc.

And a link to my photo gallery if anyone wants to see more!!! :shifty: https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=5104

So, why are you into Volkswagens? :laugh:
Yup, I had a '57 oval, and then a '66 single cab, a looong time ago. Now I drive a Dodge.

I decided to whitewall the tires, so I used Kiwi scuff cover like some other folks here have used. It seems like it will last for quite a while, dries fast, and stays flexible. It's not like shoe polish at all, more like leather paint. Also painted the edges of the rims while I had everything apart.

buckeye

I'll tell ya.
That is shaping up to be a nice ride.
I have kiwi on a bike I did at least 4 years ago.
Touch it up in the spring.

Yup, I had a '57 oval, and then a '66 single cab, a looong time ago. Now I drive a Dodge.

I decided to whitewall the tires, so I used Kiwi scuff cover like some other folks here have used. It seems like it will last for quite a while, dries fast, and stays flexible. It's not like shoe polish at all, more like leather paint. Also painted the edges of the rims while I had everything apart.

How many coats did it take to get it that white and how long to dry between coats?

I have been using Krylon Fusion paint and it tends to crack after riding and it's no fun having these two bikes if you can't ride them. So I guess I'll be going the Kiwi way.

I'll tell ya.
That is shaping up to be a nice ride.
I have kiwi on a bike I did at least 4 years ago.
Touch it up in the spring.
Thx!!! I saw your bike when I was searching, Very Nice!!!:thumbsup:

How many coats did it take to get it that white and how long to dry between coats?
Not exactly sure how many coats, maybe 6 to 8, it's pretty thin, so it dries quick (minutes not hours).
Nice Bikes too!!!:thumbsup:

Nice wheels, I really like the red with the whitewalls, it has that "rat rod" look to it. :thumbsup: Lots of mini bike talent in Arizona these days, must be due to the governor of Arizona, Havasu Dave.

Last edited:
Thx Fantic Freddy & OND!!!

I bought some sheet metal and made my own clutch band brake bracket. I cut out the pattern, notched it with my angle grinder, welded on a t-nut, bent and welded it up. Drilled and tapped a hole for a bicycle cable adjuster. The clutch is mounted outboard because the engine I was going to use had a 1 1/4" PTO shaft, and the Max Torque clutch doesn't have a keyway all the way thru. I have a different motor to use now, but the jackshaft is still set up for the clutch outboard.
Also I plan to run the brake cable along the frame to the rear then up and forward just for looks, it's a long stretch and might not work to well so that might change. :laugh:

I got the rear fender all mounted, and it looked pretty plain so I decided to "rust" it with a personal touch!!!:001_cool:

I'm gonna start putting it all together this weekend. :smile::smile::smile:

Lovin those hand taylored white walls. I would have never thought of that Kiwi stuff for tires. I tried to find a set of white walls for my Helix, I could buy two sets of normal tires for the price of the one rear....
I will have to try that.
I like the emblem on the fender. Now you and the mini have matching tattoos.

Lovin those hand taylored white walls. I would have never thought of that Kiwi stuff for tires. I tried to find a set of white walls for my Helix, I could buy two sets of normal tires for the price of the one rear....
I will have to try that.
I like the emblem on the fender. Now you and the mini have matching tattoos.
THX!!! I can't take any credit for the idea of Kiwi scuff cover, I got the idea from a search on the forum here. I found Buckeye's thread and he mentioned he got the idea from KB2ROCKET (I think). It seems to be flexible but I still haven't ridden it yet, soon though, hopefully this weekend. The rusty emblem turned out better than I hoped for, I really didn't know how it would turn out.:smile:

" I didn't know how it would turn out"
That's commitment.
The folks here on this forum are so..creative. Yall have so many ways to accomplish the same task it's amazing. Most of the thing done here are outside the box to begin with then yall come up with these out of this world ways to accomplish it.
It's actually inspirational. Damn that sounded mushy....

Well it's pretty much done for now. :smile::smile::smile:

When I got it for the scrapyard the frame was broken and bent. I straightened it as best I could, and welded it back together. Straightened the bent forks, then cut 2 1/2" out and used 12" of 11/16" round bar inside. I sleeved the inside of the neck to use 5/8" wheel bearings, instead of metric. Cut off the original jackshaft mounts, that used metric bearings, and welded on my own kit from OldMiniBikes warehouse. Cut off the original rear axle mounts, 19mm, but left just enough to help me line up the ones I made for a 5/8" axle and the wheel I'm using. Straightened the handlebars and I made the seat. Not sure where that brake lever came from but it works, and kinda matches the bike. Twist throttle came off a Taco I use to have, but I think it's actually a Honda part, has a kill switch built in. The rest of it I already posted about.

It rides great, handles great, stops great!!! WOW, clutch band brakes are going on 3 other bikes of mine now!!!
Still need to make a clutch cover, kickstand, & exhaust.

Clutch cover is done. Got new control cables with nylon inner sleeves and cleaned up how they were attached/routed. Found a cool oil fill cap on a McCulloch chainsaw that fits. The whitewalls are holding up good, they don't seem to be cracking, but I don't ride it very much. Still some little things I want to change. (cause I can't leave things alone!!!) :biggrin:

Here's the link to my photo gallery for more pics if anyone's interested. :shifty:

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=5104&page=1

Last edited: