KEY EQUIPMENT "PAC-PAL" [Tote Gote copy]

Oldsalt

In the early '60s here in Walla Walla WA the Caper Cycles were beginning to be built [by Ben Hunt at his ag equipment shop]. About that same time, a few miles away [In Melton-Freewater OR] was a company that made food processing equipment and harvesting equipment decided, as things were slow in the shop, to also make what we kinda consider a minibike. They called it a Pac-Pal. There were very, very few ever made. [Now an international company it's now located in Walla Walla and is known as Key Technology Inc. and make state of the art machine vision equipment [big dollar and high tech stuff] and a complete line of nice food processing equipment]. Any how, I have a set of the drawings, dated 11/2/60, that were used in the old mild steel weld shop in Melton-Freewater to build them. Also have a Pac-Pal. I'll post pictures of the 3 'Gotes' [one is probably a Tote Gote brand] that I have in the back yard pretty soon....maybe some one can identify them. DSCF8863.JPG DSCF8864.JPG

Oldsalt

I see that the serial number is 61-1. I'll venture a guess that the plate was used on a 1961 machine. My 1960 drawing doesn't show the plate on the assembly drawing. That's a VERY nice item! Do you have the rest of the machine? Where was this mounted on the bike?

Oldsalt

I have three machines in the backyard that are similar. One I'm sure one is a PAK-PAL. The first three pics are the right sides and the second three the left sides. DSCF8857.JPG DSCF8858.JPG DSCF8859.JPG DSCF8860.JPG DSCF8861.JPG DSCF8862.JPG DSCF8857.JPG DSCF8858.JPG DSCF8859.JPG DSCF8860.JPG DSCF8861.JPG DSCF8862.JPG

Oldsalt

Is anyone interested in owning these things? I'll never get around to doing anything with them. In 1989 I moved to Walla Walla and worked at Key Technology. Got to know a few of the guys that were working at Key when they made the Pak-Pal. In about 2003 Tom Madson, President, asked Larry Mahana, Shop Supervisor, to restore one that they found. I suppose they still have it in their archives. As the production of Pak-Pals was just a 'flash in the pan' and was soon dropped the employees ended up with the entire inventory of parts which were then completed and assembled at home and etc. Note that one of the bikes was never painted!

desert rat

Is anyone interested in owning these things? I'll never get around to doing anything with them. In 1989 I moved to Walla Walla and worked at Key Technology. Got to know a few of the guys that were working at Key when they made the Pak-Pal. In about 2003 Tom Madson, President, asked Larry Mahana, Shop Supervisor, to restore one that they found. I suppose they still have it in their archives. As the production of Pak-Pals was just a 'flash in the pan' and was soon dropped the employees ended up with the entire inventory of parts which were then completed and assembled at home and etc. Note that one of the bikes was never painted!

I just got off the phone with Oldsalt and the deal has been done. I will be the new proud caretaker of these three machines. 28 hour round trip but I think it is really worth it. Of course my wife thinks I'm nuts. OK I'm good with that.