Lacing spokes on Rupp wheels - advice?

The wheels on my Rupp Enduros (12") are in pretty rough shape. The chrome is almost completely gone. For a low-budget fix I'm thinking about removing all the spokes, glass bead the rims, and paint them black. The problem is I'm afraid that pulling all the spokes and re-installing them again might be more than I can handle. Can anyone give me some advice as to what this job is like? Thanks.

If you have never done it before it can be really difficult to "true-up" the rim. I have taken some to a bicycle shop in the past since they (should) know what they are doing. Good luck.

buckeye

If you're going to paint them anyway, why? You wanting to not paint the spokes?

If you do, take good photos of the spoke weave. Have good spoke tools.
Plan on a way to be able to hang the rims so when you respoke them, you will be able to spin the rim freely. Also will need a way to be sure you are trueing them. First one I did took me about three hours. Drove me nuts!! Second one about half hour once I figured it out.

The wheels on my Rupp Enduros (12") are in pretty rough shape. The chrome is almost completely gone. For a low-budget fix I'm thinking about removing all the spokes, glass bead the rims, and paint them black. The problem is I'm afraid that pulling all the spokes and re-installing them again might be more than I can handle. Can anyone give me some advice as to what this job is like? Thanks.
I did a HD set a few years ago. The spoke arrangement was in the book, so getting the right sequence was fairly easy.

A spoke wrench makes truing way simpler. I made a simple U-shaped frame out of wood and set the wheel with axle in it. (Think upside down forks)

Keep tightening side to side until the spokes start to get tension, than adjust spokes to pull wheel one side or another, depending on wobble. Pull from opposite side. I'm sure this is on the internet somewhere, but I found it to be a lot easier than I assumed it would be. I plan on doing this to the Wildcat (same wheels essentially) when I get the rims chromed.

With painted black wheels, you will want the dial indicator.

scootercat

I've the same wheels with not too good chrome rims....I have laced bicycle rims for My motorized Schwinn,learned by doing,and redoing....check out Youtube for a quick learning on how to lace ....Now,I can lace up a 26" in My sleep,so I thought about doing My Wildcats rims too....You can beadblast them, then mask the spokes with a little tape and some drinking straws from MickyDs!...Just slit them down the side with a razorblade,cut for length and tape them closed,then spray away!....Scootercat....

WLB

You have a lot of good advice in the posts above. All I would add is that when you start, thread every nipple to some common point on the spoke and then turn each nipple the same number of turns until the whole thing starts to get tight. This will keep it from getting egged shape and save a lot of hassle. Once it starts to get tight, pay close attention to your dial indicator or just a piece of wire placed close to the rim and work slowly. Don't try to do make all corrections at once. Lubing the threads makes things go easier.

buckeye

Wow, never would have thought of that. Needs to go in the tech section. How to paint rims without removing the spokes.:laugh:

you have to be careful not to overtighten them too...you can get a wheel perfectly true but wound too tight...first time you hit a hole or bump the rim will implode...happened to me when I was a kid......:doah:

scootercat

I have a torque screwdriver with a modded flat blade bit,I cut a notch in the middle with a 1/32" cut-off wheel...Lets You get them set the same tightness....I do Mine on bicycles,but works for any threaded spoked wheel, the notch lets any extra spoke come thru the nipple,If their a little long...And that gets cutoff with a dremel & a cut-off wheel so it won't poke the liner/tube....Scootercat....

Thanks a lot for all of the input guys. I might go with the straw tip and leave them together - good idea! Otherwise, I got a couple of extra wheels with the deal, maybe I'll play around with one of those first. I'll let you know how it all works out. Thanks again!