Lil Indian Model 600 Chain Guard and Date Help

Does anyone here know if the Lil Indian Model 600 "Shifty" came with a chain guard. It has an original Briggs and Stratton 3hp engine. Also can anyone give me an idea of the manufacturing date of this bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nick

It's more then likely a '69. If the engine is correct you can date it off the numbers. The ad's I have show only the half moon over the clutch.
It would be a 600. Shifty was just a advertising slogan. Lil' Indian named their 2 speed "mini-matic"
There is a member here named mini-matic that could help you with the particulars of the bike. He knows them very well.

Randy

Just came across this old thread. How does the jackshaft/2-speed mount? I don't see any frame tabs that would normally hold a jackshaft.

thanks!

MINI-MATIC

Indian 600

That frame is a 1967 to 1968,your chain guard is correct and in the correct position.The earlier guard that was used had the holes in it and was mounted to the front side on the Pto cover.The earlier guard was used from late 64 through 67,the guard you have was used in late 67 to maybe mid 68. Later in 68,they started useing the full flat guard,this was used through mid 69,when they then went to the full guard with the added hump in it ,where the decal goe's,this was a much better made guard then the earler full guard,heavier guage.The 2 speed units mounted on a sub-plate that I have pictured,I hope this helps. Im guessing a early to mid 1968 bike.:thumbsup::scooter::thumbsup:

Last edited:

MINI-MATIC

That bike was most likely red,I think a slight metallic red.You should have the decal on the recoil of the Lil Indian figure that is available on ebay. Number's on the engine should be model 80212 type 0308 then the date code which should probably start with a 68.Tires should be Carlisle 10.5x4.50x4.:thumbsup:

MINI-MATIC

WOW,just noticed this was an old thread!!! :doah:Oh well,maybe it can help someone else out.Aarron,the Jackshaft plate mounts under the engine plate. :thumbsup: