LIl indian? year & model

Hey guys, Need some info on this LIL Indian I picked up to build for my kids. I would like to know the year and model.

The frame is 3/4" with 7/8" foot rest. The neck tube is 7/8" with no bushing and the forks wobble and wiggle cause the neck is wore out. The forks are 7/8".

The engine plate fits a B&S. It came with a 5hp (1972) but it sticks out to much on the side. Working on getting something smaller. What model engine would of this had?

The original color looks to be Gold.

Any info would be appreciated, Nate

Bikerscum

Great start on a cool Lil bike. They actually did come with a 5hp Briggs... or a 3, 2.25, etc.

That bracket on the top frame tube shouldn't be there, not sure what that's about. And the forward seat "strap" has been added.

A Lil TLC and it'll be great.

:thumbsup:

Great start on a cool Lil bike. They actually did come with a 5hp Briggs... or a 3, 2.25, etc.

That bracket on the top frame tube shouldn't be there, not sure what that's about. And the forward seat "strap" has been added.

A Lil TLC and it'll be great.

Yeah it needs a little TLC. New foot rest tube, neck that will accept bushings, fix seat strap, remove angle bracket from top tube. Fix several broken welds and cracked tubing by neck area.

On the rear seat bracket there is old welds in front of it. I'll have to find a measurement to confirm the location of the rear seat bracket to see if it was moved back.

Thanks, Nate

The bike is pre 1969 as it doesn't have a round hole in the motor plate---if it did it would have come with a Tecumseh engine. Your 5HP Briggs looks like it came off a snow blower. The neck has been broken and re-welded at some point. Hard to tell if it has skinny fork trees from the pics but I would assume so. On the right hand rear axle plate there will be a number stamped on it--may have to scrape the paint off to get it. The motor plate is interesting in that it has one front corner chopped off. Lil Indian did have a model 700 that came with a 5HP Briggs and the right foot peg was longer than the left to compensate for the wider recoil.I have one of these but both front corners are cut off on an angle.The serial number may tell more. Bikerscum has already pointed out the added brackets. Nice bike and with a 3HP it should be great for the kids. The front tire is a Carlisle double Indian but not the original size which was 410/350/4. Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks Boatguy, I'm gonna start a build thread soon :thumbsup:

Serial #12708

The right front foot peg is 4-3/4" and the left foot peg is 3-3/4"

The front forks measure 6-3/4" to the out side and 5" on the inside

NICE find! Its a 700 and came with a 5HP Briggs on it.It is an early model as mine is 15----. When you put a 3 on it watch the chain alignment as with this model the slots in the motor plate are offset to the right because of the larger engine and it may affect the alignment--nothing major--just saying. Don't see many of this model around so you scored a winner. Best of luck on the build.

The other thing that wasn't pointed out that I noticed was that the motor plate is pushed forward on 5hp models. I was thinking Bill noted this to me at Windber so I've watched for it since. Very cool find.

My semi-survivor is what appears to be the same gold as what yours may have been as well.

Last edited:
What does early model mean, can the exact year be determined? Also is the neck tube correct? It's 7/8" OD and has no bushings.
If you read up on the history of the company it should make sense, but they switched from briggs to tecumseh motors. The tecumseh frames are easy to spot cause there is a hole in the engine plate.

not sure on your specific model but the neck tubing on my lil indian is 3.75" long, 1.125" OD and 0.865" ID.

and nice bike by the way. i'm sure your kids will love it! :thumbsup:

The other thing that wasn't pointed out that I noticed was that the motor plate is pushed forward on 5hp models. I was thinking Bill noted this to me at Windber so I've watched for it since. Very cool find.

My semi-survivor is what appears to be the same gold as what yours may have been as well.

Thanks for the info. Thats a very nice bike :thumbsup: Yeah that looks like the color, I think I like it. I wasn't so sure about it until I seen yours.

Your bike is a model 700,the engine plate being dog eared and more forward gives it away,also your tire which is a 10.5 x 4.50 x 4 is also correct,these came on the model 600 and 700,bike looks to be a 68

Take a look at the fork neck--I think it may have been changed to a larger tube.
The outside diameter of the neck tube is 7/8" I didn't measure the inside diameter but it is wore in a slight oval. The bolt fits loose and wobbles around.

I'm trying to figure out if the neck is original or has been changed. Either way I may have to replace it but I would like to make it the correct size.