Look At My Big A$$ Seat

TomH

As you can tell, I am NOT an upholsterer, nor do I play one on TV. But..I bought a blue foam ground mat for cheap at Wally's world, real firm foam, put about 3" of that, and then topped and sided it with 2 1/2 soft foam. Spray glued it all up. Original seat itself was molded rubber, nothing to grip to. Stapled the crap out of it, hope it holds. first time trying to cover a seat. I rode it yesterday for an hour at least on my bumpy off road trails, and my tail isn't sore today, so I like it, it works for my fat a$$.:scooter:

buckeye

I get it for sure. Old bones don't like the hard tails. Little cushion for the pu oh never mind, that's another story.
Seriously though, that turned out pretty cool as well as practical. Nice Tom.

TomH

:laugh::laugh: I metal flaked the seat surround, it looks like grey primer in the pics. I thought about you and the back stroking bug in your paint Dave.:laugh:

Last edited:

TomH

I didn't get any bugs in the paint, but I did get flake all over my hands, I look like I had a hard night at a glitter rock concert.
The seat really is comfy, got to find some taller bars, so I can sit up a bit straighter. Those are knocking my knees.

:laugh::laugh: I metal flaked the seat surround, it looks like grey primer in the pics. I thought about you and the back stroking bug in your paint Dave.:laugh:
I 600-gritted those da-n fenders tonight, getting out most of the orange peel and whatever bug guts were still there. Now I have to clear coat them. I think I need to find something that doesn't dry so fast. I am SICK of those fenders! (But I'll admit I'm thinking about some pin stripes on the fenders to match the white piping on the seat Kenny is sending me.) Overall, still having fun, when I'm not falling over from the heat.

TomH

If it dries too quick, paint looks like it is bouncing off the fender, you are too far away. You want to spray into your overspray keeping a wet edge, usually spraying away from you. Try to keep the light angle so you can see the wet paint applied in the glare spot if that makes any sense. I had my seat surround in the house, paint too. Took it outside to spray and brought it inside while it was still wet. I had a place to set it so nothing touched. Too freaking hot for paint to work right outside right now.

You know, Tom, I am thinking I might forego the clear and just wet sand and buff out the existing black enamel. I have so much paint on already I doubt I would sand through to the primer.

The weather is just so sucky for painting and I'm having a rough time with the spray cans. Next week is supposed to get cooler but rainy. Yeah, I've been taking them inside for curing but not between coats...

Add to that I'm not even sure what Rustoleum clear is compatible with their Professional enamel (they don't say on the can).

Anyway, seems worth a try.

TomH

Yep, enamel will for sure buff out. I bought a cheap buffing wheels set that came with white and red compound at harbor freight. I fits on a regular drill, and it worked great for shining up my plastic headlights. I used the white, which is the least aggressive. It would work great for your fenders. they are pretty small wheels about 4 ". I had a variable speed drill so I could keep the heat down. You will have to probably hand rub your edges if you have any, because it is real easy to burn thru, or catch the wheel on an edge, but i sure would try it. You can also hand rub the whole thing with rubbing, and then polishing compound, but unless you already have the stuff, the harbor freight deal at five bucks will work just fine.
4 Piece Buffing Kit

TomH

as long as your ass likes it....Ive never done any murray seats. it dont look half bad.:thumbsup:
Thanks Kenny, after I took a good look at it, looks like molded rubber with steel plates molded in for fastening to the bike. I stapled the fire out of it into the rubber and squirted some glue where I could. So far it is holding. Time will tell, but I think the seat pan is keeping the staples pushed up into the rubber.

TomH

Everybody says you cant recover a Murray seat??? I guess you proved them wrong!!!:thumbsup:
I didn't know that Tony.:doah: I really didn't..sometimes stupidity, and ignorance come together. :laugh:. I got the hair brained idea from looking at a picture of a old Simplex mini at Windber. KK said it was the most comfortable seat he had set on. It was wide and had springs. Mine was narrow, and had a spring, so I was close. I just put some more spring with hard and soft foam and made it wider.

Yep, enamel will for sure buff out. I bought a cheap buffing wheels set that came with white and red compound at harbor freight. I fits on a regular drill, and it worked great for shining up my plastic headlights. I used the white, which is the least aggressive. It would work great for your fenders. they are pretty small wheels about 4 ". I had a variable speed drill so I could keep the heat down. You will have to probably hand rub your edges if you have any, because it is real easy to burn thru, or catch the wheel on an edge, but i sure would try it. You can also hand rub the whole thing with rubbing, and then polishing compound, but unless you already have the stuff, the harbor freight deal at five bucks will work just fine.
4 Piece Buffing Kit
Thanks Tom. I remembered I had an old buffer I bought about 15 years ago for some auto body repair work. I also found the red and green turtle wax rubbing and polishing compounds from back then--still good! This seems to be working well. Takes time but I'm not fighting with paint spraying in this weather.

Last edited:
I like the seat

As you can tell, I am NOT an upholsterer, nor do I play one on TV. But..I bought a blue foam ground mat for cheap at Wally's world, real firm foam, put about 3" of that, and then topped and sided it with 2 1/2 soft foam. Spray glued it all up. Original seat itself was molded rubber, nothing to grip to. Stapled the crap out of it, hope it holds. first time trying to cover a seat. I rode it yesterday for an hour at least on my bumpy off road trails, and my tail isn't sore today, so I like it, it works for my fat a$$.:scooter:

Hey Tom,

I like your seat efforts. I'm going to be building a new one for my Powell, I may call for help.

Jesse Wulf