Looking for Camshaft info

I'm new around here but I've been reading this forum for a couple weeks and have found that there is a lot of knowledgeable users. I'm hoping I can find one that has some info on this for me.

I'm working on a vertical 500 series Briggs right now. I'm looking to build it up and Ive been stumped on the camshaft. I thought this was the same as a 5hp but I'm guessing I was wrong lol. I picked up a Raptor cam to use to build my camshaft and quickly realized the number of teeth were wrong. (That is when I realized this is diff from a 5hp). There are 42t on my factory cam (52 on 5hp). My question is, can I order a perf cam for this? I cannot find any metal ones to build one with.

Last edited:
I think I actually solved my problem after a weeks of searching right after posting this.
Model number is 10t502 0457.
Both the 500 series that I have and the older 3hp use a 42 tooth gear. Correct me if I'm wrong. So If I can find one for the 3hp it should work out. I'm thinking. You all might know of the 3hp's then I would. I'm new to the smaller briggs :)

The basic p/n for your cam is 691998. That cam was used in over 2830 different motors by Briggs. I don't know of an all steel cam for your motor. If there is one hopefully someone will chime in that knows. As far as a performance cam don't think there is any, it would have to be totally custom.

Cam is off of a Briggs 3 HP Horizontal shaft Model 80232 type 0384-02 It is an all steel one and will swap into the 500 series motor I'm putting together. I will use it for my "custom grind". Thought I would share the info in case anybody else ever decided to do work to one of these motors and found this info helpful at all.