making engine backfire

I know this is probably the opposite of what you're used to doing, but I want my engine to backfire more. Right now when I rev and get in high (5000) RPM's and let off the throttle it makes a little flame. I just want to show off. I don't actually race in a class, just with friends. Just tell me even if it could damage the engine. If it will injure me let me know.
Thanks.

JamnJM

Remove a little piece of exhaust pipe gasket or drill a little hole at mounting to the head to allow a minor exhaust leak / suck fresh air to pop on backing off....

Neck

Growing up is optional
Back firing doesn't hurt anything really, hold the kill switch when you back off the gas then let go, it fills the muffler up with unburned gas, then when you let off the kill. it ignites it.

Back firing doesn't hurt anything really, hold the kill switch when you back off the gas then let go, it fills the muffler up with unburned gas, then when you let off the kill. it ignites it.
Cliff is quite correct (no surprise). Back in the day (late 1960's) I used to do this with my Dad's Ford Falcon (you old guys will remember those), by turning the ignition key off for a couple of seconds, then turning it back on. Man, those were some HUGE backfires!:laugh:
Michael

vwfan79

Also if you run it a little rich it will pop and back fire after you have high RPMs and let off the throttle. Mine does it now but I'm working on stopping that with more air to the motor.