man, this thing is a blast!

markus

Got up this morning and instead of doing chores I went right out to play with the new toy. The choke cable is broken and it will not idle and honestly at this point I haven't the foggiest idea of how to make adjustments etc. yet. so I took the carb cover off and used my hand as a choke. It kicks right off choked and will run fine if you keep the a slight rev going. Other than that it runs great no hesitation or anything through the gears etc..

Good enough to test run I say so I jumped on it and took it for a spin, Holy crap its quick! I got it up 45-50 (on the speedo) fast. its way ballsy in all the gears as well. I'm really surprised with those big honkin' tires on it. Takes a little getting used to in the turns but it rides real easy and quite comfy. If any of you guys have any hands on experience with one please help a brotha out. Guy I bought it from was no help, he took it in on trade, he didn't even know where the gastank was and that it was "oil injected".

1972 suzuki RV90:

Cool 90. I used to have one the same color and everything. I had a 125 that was green. Loved them both. I think the idle screw sticks up through the rubber cap that the throttle and choke cable runs through. There's a brass idle mixture screw too somewhere on the side of the carb, or it may come up through the rubber too. Before you adjust it, I would pull the carb and remove the bowl and check the idle or pilot jet. I can't remember if the main jet has an o ring to seats it in a chamber in the bottom or not. If it does, you'll probably need a new one when you put the bowl back on.

I bet it is. A 4 stroke would probably be more powerful on the low end too.

Now that I've thoght about it, I'm thinking the idle mixture was the brass screw on top, and the idle screw was on the front. If there's a rubber plug in the case in front of the carb, that would be where you access the idle screw. If you pull it you will be able to see what's what. it's been almost 20 years since I had mine and I've slept since. I'm sure there's an access hole in the front to unclamp the carb from the intake spigot.

Last edited:

markus

I dug into to it a little today. The idle is set coming out the top and I guess the rich/lean is on the carb when you take the plate of the motor sidecover sidecover. I got it to idle today but had the mixture set wrong. I think the problem with starting is just that broken cable on what I thought was a choke. From what I have seen they call it the start switch. I took the carb off and its just a plunger that when you turn the knob on the handlebar opens and looks like it bypasses or opens a a passage up. I ordered the cable and a bunch of other tidbits from bikebandit.com well see if it fixes that issue anyway.

tom, It sure looks like there is plenty of room to stick a lifan in there, but if it was done I would say the the bike itself would have had to been modified at the mounts a little for fitment. There is a top engine mount that I think woudl be in the way on a honda style So keep that in mind anyway :) with the aircleaner assy all hooked up this thing is really quiet for 2 stroke and it has alot of low end grunt still I would not see much a need for it, of course it woudl probably be cheaper long run for parts

oh yea found a plastic sidecover today as well, will have to paint it as its a later year but at least I found one. Now to find the uber rare air pump and canteen kit!!!!!!!!

It may be hard to get the idle mixture set right til you get a new cable. The plunger may be jiggling around, letting more fuel in. All it does is open a passage directly to the float bowl, allowing the engine to draw a straight shot of fuel. Be sure it's closing well after replacing the cable.

markus

It may be hard to get the idle mixture set right til you get a new cable. The plunger may be jiggling around, letting more fuel in. All it does is open a passage directly to the float bowl, allowing the engine to draw a straight shot of fuel. Be sure it's closing well after replacing the cable.
Thanks jim, do you remember if you pretty much had to actuate that plunger everytime you started it by chance? Just trying to figure out if that pretty much the only problem I have with it (other than a fine tune)

Thanks jim, do you remember if you pretty much had to actuate that plunger everytime you started it by chance? Just trying to figure out if that pretty much the only problem I have with it (other than a fine tune)
You should only have to use it when the engine is cold, unless the weather is really cold.