Manco Delta 1

Just scored this bike as a roller from my new friend and semi-local minibike buddy Tiki_Todd. All original except for the front wheel. Working on finding the correct 6" Manco wheel for the front. Someone also cut the foot pegs off. Came with a newer H35 that I will use for now, until I can dig up a more era-correct HS40.

Some hurdles will have to be overcome. Lower fork tubes are locked up tight in the forks, zero suspension travel in the front forks. Have them soaking in PB Blaster right now, will see if that helps. Also, the steering tube/neck is super sloppy. Uses a 1/2" bolt, fit is good at the fork plates but sloppy in the tube. Any suggestions for dealing with that issue? Could I shim the neck tube for a more snug fit?

I would almost hate to strip this one down to bare metal since it still has most of the original paint, and a glossy re-paint would make the chrome look worse by comparison. So I might just clean it up, buff it out, and keep the ratty/survivor look. Let me know what y'all think!

Last edited:

markus

front forks are not suspension forks.....if you get them to move you have a problem :laugh: that headtube is problematic on those, usually the bolt rusts to the headtube, On mine the PO's weren't going to mess with it and started to cut the tube right off the frame :doah: thankfully, their tool broke 3/4 of the way through so I just went and had it rewelded professionally after I worked the remains of the headbolt free that was stuck in the tube.

No bushings that I am aware of. Will look again when I get home tonight.

Markus, I was certain that there would be some kind of springs in the upper forks. Thanks for letting me know, probably would have bent or broken them trying. My head bolt was free and the forks turn pretty well, but there is just enough play to be annoying. Because the forks are so long 1/16" of play at the head tube translates into almost an inch of play at the wheel.

So last night TheJoker and I figured out that both our Delta 1's had the same size fork plate decal (Even though the 1971 ad shows none). There was just enough of mine left to be able to tell that it's the Trail Cat by Manco decal used on the Trail Cat line of bikes (and fun-karts apparently).

Look familiar?

I guess that makes the Delta 1 part of the Trail Cat lineup?

Would like to get a re-pop or 2 made, along with the clutch cover decal. does anybody know where I could get some? I know TheJoker wouldn't mind having one for his restored Delta 1 either.

Hard to tell in the pic, but I also cleaned up the frame, forks, and sissy bar a little. She's got some shine left in her!

Got some time off from work this weekend, gonna tear it back down and media blast some of the smaller bits (rear wheel, sprocket, brake drum, etc.) and paint them. A friend with a welder is also gonna weld some new foot pegs on for me. After that I still have to deal with the headset bolt issue, but I have a plan in place for that. Then new decals and re-upholster the seat. Still trying to find a 6" Manco wheel for the front.

Small update. Scored a correct 6" Manco front wheel (Thanks Minibikin'!). Sent the seat out for reupholstery (thanks Manchester1!). Cleaned up what is left of the chrome with SOS pads, the kind with soap impregnated in them. Discovered the soapy water helps lubricate the steel wool as you use it. Still not as nice as I'd have hoped, but better than it was.

Stopped by a friend's shop and welded on new foot pegs. Cut the straight sections off an old pair of handlebars and used them for the pegs. The original foot pegs had apparently been broken off, brazed back on, broken again and cut off with a sawzall. Still evidence of the farmer John brazing attempt visible on the left side. Hope the welds stick well enough, didn't notice the copper till it was too late. If one breaks off, no big deal to weld it back on I guess.

Also welded up a split in the lower right fork tube. Water must have gotten down in there and rusted enough to force the ends apart.
Before:

After:

Sleeved the head tube with 17/32" OD .014" wall brass tubing to remove the slop in the headset. Much better!

Wheel halves, brake parts and sprocket awaiting media blast and paint. Got one wheel half mostly done before my buddy's compressor died. Oh well, will finish another day.

Here she is as she sits. Once the wheels and parts are finished and new bearings pressed in, etc. I can get it back into a roller and start tinkering with the H35 (needs a few gaskets and a carb clean), and hopefully wrap up this one for now. Was gonna wet sand and clear the frame to preserve what's left of the original paint, but that will probably be a project for next winter. Right now I just wanna ride this thing!

Last edited:
Looks great ! But it seems a shame with all the work you have put into it not to paint the frame
I am torn, because the chrome is far less than perfect and would look even worse by comparison with nice glossy paint. Re-chroming is not in the budget either, and silver spray paint just doesn't do it for me. Also you almost never see these with original paint, so it would be kind of a shame to strip it all off even though I can't really call the bike a survivor since I've replaced more than a few original parts. I may change my mind and go for the re-spray after this season, or at least smooth it out and clear over the patina. Admittedly I do kinda like the ratty look!