march 30 progress

Hello all, fabricated the triple trees, and the fork ends, Just tacked, no welding yet. One question please... How much space if any, should the triple tree plates have between the head tube?? The over all length including bearings? (I'm using the roller bearing with the lock rings so they will stick out a bit out of the head tube) Have a great day. Gene IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0226.JPG

Gene you don't need any extra space...unless you want to add a washer to the top and bottom....but I would leave about 1/8'' for paint. Where is your other thread on this build ? You need to keep your build thread all together. jmo

Sorry, I will keep all updates on this thread, starting with this one.
I was able to cut, fit and tack on the engine mount plate before I headed home for the night.
I received my rear wheel/tire with sprocket today (thanks pomfish) and should have the rear wheel plates on by tomorrow night.
evening all. IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0229.JPG

No..no ..I wasn't telling you to keep it all in one thread, It's just easier for everyone to keep up with your build if its all in one thread..By tha way your bike is looking awesome !:wink:

No..no ..I wasn't telling you to keep it all in one thread, It's just easier for everyone to keep up with your build if its all in one thread..By tha way your bike is looking awesome !:wink:
Eric, you are right, I should be keeping all the post together... Computer stuff is like mini's to me...I'm just learning and appreciate any and all help that I can get. Build on!

Ahhh jack shaft... That was so be a "sooner or later" type question. Can someone school me on why a jack shaft?
I assume it will be about gearing between motor and drive whee? Not 100% sure why some minis have them,while others don't. I have a 72 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel, what would you suggest as far as what should be used on the JS? I've also noticed from pictures I seen, some jack shafts sprockets keep both chains on the same side while others
(Like OND's Savage) transfer the chain from one side to another. Have a nice day all

Jackshaft is for gear ratio like you said, or to run a two-speed, or to get your chain alignment right, maybe a place for a brake if you can't fit one on your wheel. Of course they add complexity and drag if you don't need one.

In your picture you have the wheel flipped around with the sprocket on the right is why I asked.

Wheel is simply that way just to get an idea what it will look like. There is a piece of 2x4 between frame and sprocket to keep it standing up. Just goofin off really.
Thanks for the jack shaft info.
Like I've told my kids, learn something new every day and you'll be alright
Cheers

Happy April fools to one and all. big day today. Most of the welding done. Props go out to my friend Peter who is one of the best welders I know. Maybe the best. I'll let pics do the talking. Have a great night, cheers, Gene IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0251.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0254.JPG IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0258.JPG

ok... got the front wheel today. I'll have to figure something out though. The front wheel is metric of coarse, and with not knowing the mm size just yet, It looks to be the equivalent of a 3/8" axle. Question is, should I some how find a way to put a bigger axle in, like changing the bearings? Not sure what options I'll have there if any. This is a wheel off one of those razor pocket bikes I'm told. I have plenty of the 1 3/8" x 5/8" bearings, that makes me think, what if I just take the wheel on the lathe and open the bore? I'd only have to remove about 3/16" to get to the 1 3/8" for the bearings. There seems to be plenty of meat around the bearings to not compromise the wheel. OR... do I forget it and just find some bushings that will fit the 5/8" fork holes, and just go with the original axle? I will investigate the wheel further tomorrow and find out exactly what the metric dimensions are. Any opinions, comments, ideas, 2-cents is very important to me. Thanks all. IMG_0264.JPG s-l200.jpg

Valocalrep

I personally would try to get new bearing and go with the wider axle gives it more strength and less chance of bending easy. Bearing "shouldnt" be too hard to find

Well I thought it was time to update a bit on my build. I've had a few set backs, one being the front wheel, and the other being the seat.
I am about to give up on the front wheel that I had posted back on the 7th of this month due to the fact that I'm running out of options as far as completion. I bought it with metric bearings (30mm x 10mm) I did not like the 10mm shaft thing, so I tried to find some one with a big enough lathe to open up the bearing seats to the standard 1 3/8 bearing... No luck there. So now I take it to work, where we have a big radial arm drill press and try to drill out to fit the bearings... no luck again, The drill press is so old and worn, I couldn't keep it centered enough to save my soul, so now I have the right size seats, but off center @%(!%$!+%* So now I buy 6203 bearings which are 1 1/2" OD X 40mm and figure I have one more shot at it, but now it's back to needing a guy with a big enough lathe... Well I found three guys with big lathes but not very big hearts. One guy wanted $200 and the other two wanted $175 and $150 Way out of my price range. I know nothings free in this world, but two of the guys where friends of my buddies! Boy and to think I ran a big engine lathe for 15 years back in the day and had all kinds of "favors" asked of me with nothing more than lunches and beers as payment. Any ways, that's were I'm with that... I'll be posting a "need a front wheel" in the wanted section as soon as I'm done here.
Second is the seat... I made a fifty dollar mistake here. I acted to fast on a Harley solo seat off of Craigslist one evening, that I didn't stop to consider size as in relationship to the mini bike. I got home all happy with my new cool seat, and as soon as I set it on the frame it hit me... WAY to big!!! %+!#@$% again! My kids even said, it makes the bike look like one of those electric chairs from the "SCOOTER STORE" !!!
Just way to comical really. So my next move was to use an over sized bicycle seat. Looked OK (a little on the smallish side) but really really uncomfortable. So out with the grinder and cutting disk. The good news is I did find and buy a seat off eBay that should work really well. It's not the solo type seat that I was originally thinking but rather a typical mini bike type seat. I should get it next week some time.
On the positive side, I finished the forks/handle bars. Have the rear wheel mounted with custom axle and spacers. And I did receive my order from the warehouse which included clutch, clutch brake, throttle, cables, grips, etc. All good there. Still can not post pics due to me posting to many in the past, and I guess I will have to wait till I can become a paid member. Oh yea, If any body has a 8' or 10" wheel? I'll be posting in the wanted section. Have a great day, Gene

Hey Gene, I bought a bobber/chopper seat off ebay for my Savage, and I like it I think it fits good. Got any pics of your seat on the bike ?

Last edited: