Maxtorque Clutch Wont Fit

I picked up a doodlebug at the dump last week and ordered a clutch for it from Maxtorque. I ordered the 5/8", 11 tooth for #35 chain. It seemed to be a perfect match. I just got the clutch yesterday and tried to put it on. I lined the key up in the groove and started working the clutch on the shaft. It seemed a little tight so I got the mallet. Still seemed tight so I got the claw and a block of wood. Still seemed tight so I got the little sledge. Not too smart I know but I was a little upset. Well I got the clutch on about half way and it would just not go any further even with the sledge. I had to use a gear puller to get the sucker back off of the shaft. Has anyone had problems with the Maxtorques not being machined to the right size? By the way, the old clutch still slides on and off effortlessly.

I picked up a doodlebug at the dump last week and ordered a clutch for it from Maxtorque. I ordered the 5/8", 11 tooth for #35 chain. It seemed to be a perfect match. I just got the clutch yesterday and tried to put it on. I lined the key up in the groove and started working the clutch on the shaft. It seemed a little tight so I got the mallet. Still seemed tight so I got the claw and a block of wood. Still seemed tight so I got the little sledge. Not too smart I know but I was a little upset. Well I got the clutch on about half way and it would just not go any further even with the sledge. I had to use a gear puller to get the sucker back off of the shaft. Has anyone had problems with the Maxtorques not being machined to the right size? By the way, the old clutch still slides on and off effortlessly.
Is the shaft rusted,or chewed up? Using emery cloth or some sandpaper
to clean,not removing the base metal,will work wonders for you.
I'm assuming the clutch is the right size,since you managed to get it on
halfway,so it should be the correct size. If it was the wrong size,it wouldn't
go on at all,or just slip on and flap around,so that's a very good sign to me.
Try the emery cloth trick,and I will almost guarrantee your satisfaction.
Good Luck.

P.S. Make sure the keyway in the shaft doesnt have any material sticking
out on the sides,that will make it hard to get on,also.Use a small file on that.

Thanks. The shaft is in good shape. I sanded and cleaned a little bit before I started. I measured the hole while waiting for a reply and found that the back side of the bore is indeed 5/8". However the other end of the bore is slightly under 5/8". I guess that would explain why I could get it on half way then it stopped when the hole started tapering near the front. I guess that is what I get for a $20.00 part. Do you think Maxtorque would take the clutch back? They would probably charge me a $20 restocking fee:sadcrying4:

bandit 40

Yeah , shull1973, I had the same problem with trying to install the new maxtorque on my new and clean shaft on my DB. I ended puting the original clutch back on, after trying two other ones,I started forcing it on as well,Im not sure why they just dont slip on , but there is for sure a size difference:thumbdown:

I guess that bothers me a little if Bandit40 has tried two and had the same problem. Has anyone tried the Comet clutches I see on the web? Maybe they would work. I have not checked to see if they have the same shaft size/teeth or not.

125ccCrazy

Guys have you considered that the new doodles are made in china and rarely is anything built to spec over there?? Have you tried the clutch on an older briggs or Tec to see if it would fit???... It's possible that the clutch is made wrong but I'd be curious to see if the clutch would fit a U.S made engine...

I have a MT clutch and it slides right on my 6.5

Just a thought...

I guess that bothers me a little if Bandit40 has tried two and had the same problem. Has anyone tried the Comet clutches I see on the web? Maybe they would work. I have not checked to see if they have the same shaft size/teeth or not.
I've had 2 different sized Hillard clutches. A 5/8" and a 3/4",with no issues.
It must be shoddy machining from China. Doesn't suprise me. Good luck.
Your cluch would be easy to machine the bore,if these darn clutches didn't
have the keyways already inside the bore,right?

I haven't had those problems with MT or comet clutches on clones or any other engines. I put both brands on a clone the other day and they slip right on.

Do you have the new clone with the funky tank and air cleaner? There could be some bum size clutches coming from MT lately but I'm sure if you call them they will help. (they have good service )

i've had Comet, Max Torque and a Noram Cheetah clutches and have never had an issue getting them to fit my clone or 4hp Tec i used to have.

bandit 40

well I put the same clutch on my 5hp flathead 5/8 and it went right on , so this is just like 125cccrazy and DSLDAW suggested china made.And It would be interesting to try a comet clutch to see the difference like GTO said:thumbsup::thumbsup:

well I put the same clutch on my 5hp flathead 5/8 and it went right on , so this is just like 125cccrazy and DSLDAW suggested china made.And It would be interesting to try a comet clutch to see the difference like GTO said:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hillard clutches are US made and are about only $10 more than MaxTorque.
Tried to get a Max at Grainger,just a few weeks ago,they were discontinued.
I wonder why? I'm glad I didn't get one ,now. Good Luck.

Thanks for all of the posts guys. It is amazing how many people visit this site. The doodle is a 2006. It is Lifan 152F engine. The local machine shop we use at my work said they would not bore it with the keyway in the clutch. Why is this? I do plenty of woodworking but no metal. Is it dangerous to bore something out when it has notch in it? I checked the local mom and pop outdoor power equipment shop to see if he had a clutch I could stick on there so my little girl could ride this weekend. When I told him it was for a doodlebug, he just laughed and said not to waste my money on anything for that engine. He only had 3/4" clutches anyway. I am going to try one of the Comet clutches.

Thanks for all of the posts guys. It is amazing how many people visit this site. The doodle is a 2006. It is Lifan 152F engine. The local machine shop we use at my work said they would not bore it with the keyway in the clutch. Why is this? I do plenty of woodworking but no metal. Is it dangerous to bore something out when it has notch in it? I checked the local mom and pop outdoor power equipment shop to see if he had a clutch I could stick on there so my little girl could ride this weekend. When I told him it was for a doodlebug, he just laughed and said not to waste my money on anything for that engine. He only had 3/4" clutches anyway. I am going to try one of the Comet clutches.
You could use one of those 3/4" bore clutches if your mechanically inclined.
Just get a shaft bushing to make up the 5/8" to 3/4" difference.They sell
them at Grainger,if you know someone that has an account,or works for
a company that shops there. I got some for my funky 10hp Tec,which
was an off sized 7/8" shaft,to make a 1" pulley fit it perfectly.Good Luck.