MB165 repairs/mods

Hi guys,
Just joined the site yesterday so please forgive me if I step over any boundaries. The history, I purchased this bike new approx 7 yrs ago and immediately found numerous bugs that needed addressing, all supposed sealed bearings had to be replaced immediately along with numerous other minor adjustments and to put gas in the thing, try getting the gas cap off :doah:. So I removed the fake tank to resolve the gas issue, didn't like it anyway. Because the bike was purchased to replace my legs so to speak as I can only walk short distances and enjoy being out in the woods it has become a valuable asset and functionality is the most important aspect of it's use. Due to it's use I stop, start and go slow a lot and quickly found out I was burning through the centrifugal clutches, 3 in one month :blink: so I put a TAV on it and that seemed to resolve that issue for the most part with the exception of only being able to place the heal of the left foot on the foot peg because the TAV is in the road. Next I kept getting caught up in branches due to the metal over sized fenders so I got creative and purchased a 45 gal plastic drum and fashioned some new fender's that turned out quite nice and can be removed in about 2 min as they are attached with zip ties. Good to go, NOPE, the gas tank itself sprung a leak in the bubble level indicator frame, haven't found a cure for that one yet :confused: The next item on the list is the seat, I'm currently looking for a springer seat to save the lower lumbar when encountering the occasional crater on the trails. Okay enough blubbering, I'm currently left with two issues I could use some assistance with if anyone has any suggestions it would be most appreciated. Don't be too judgmental over the current condition of the bike, I knew this point was coming and it would be completely torn down and refreshed so cleanliness has been neglected.

1) Any suggestions on how to repair the leaky gas tank, it can just be made out in one of the pics.
2) I would much prefer to go back to a centrifugal clutch so I can get my foot back onto the foot peg and my personal preference looks wise is the TAV is kind of an unnecessary growth out the side of the bike. The issue is how to gear the bike so I won't be going through a couple of clutch's a month due to stop and start and slow going. Would a larger gear on the rear tire be enough to resolve the issue? is there another type of centrifugal clutch I'm not aware of that may resolve the issue?

Here is a couple of pics, I know we all like pics :smile:

104_1735.JPG 104_1733.JPG 104_1729.JPG

The TAV's are nice for your application , what about lengthening the foot pegs slightly ? The high dollar clutches are far more durable for sure !

The TAV's are nice for your application , what about lengthening the foot pegs slightly ? The high dollar clutches are far more durable for sure !
Hi chipper, Thanks for the response, appreciate that. After your response it occurred to me that the cover for the TAV may be part of the issue so I checked it out and sure enough I discovered the cover itself protrudes out about 1" in front of the TAV and when I removed it I was able to put my foot on the peg with 1/2" to spare. All I have to do is make a cover that's nice and tight and it should work o.k. However, I'm still considering going back to a centrifugal clutch if I can come up with a gear ratio and or a different clutch that will work under these circumstances or if someone else has encountered a similar situation. Thanks again, cheers

Cool , I'm not a clutch expert , I ride mostly on flat terrain so I don't put much stress on em ? You'll have some more guys chime in with a lot more smarts than me ! Can u not cut down the depth of your tav cover ?

Cool , I'm not a clutch expert , I ride mostly on flat terrain so I don't put much stress on em ? You'll have some more guys chime in with a lot more smarts than me ! Can u not cut down the depth of your tav cover ?
Thanks chipper, I've considered it now that you've mentioned it lol. Unfortunately that won't help much, the front TAV sprocket being beveled on the face allows enough room for my foot on the peg whereas with the cover being somewhat square at the front corner and sticking out on both the side and the front is where it takes up a lot of room, not sure if I explained that correctly, kind of like a round peg in a square hole idea. I'ts a minor detail to make a cover from aluminum or something similar to follow the contour of the sprocket's closely, I'm quite comfortable with metal fabrication. I don't believe it's a question of smarts there chipper but rather exposure to different ideas, I think :001_rolleyes: Cheers and Thanks!

Just wondering if maybe I'm in the wrong section to get a little assistance with the mb165, if so would someone be kind enough to let me know. If I'm in the right section does anyone have any idea how I can seal the bubble level on the gas tank with some form of fuel proof gasket, I really don't use the indicator so sealing it would be just fine. Thank you