MBX10 build

Hi all, new to the forum. I got a lot of initial info on here before getting started, hoping I can contribute.

Every time walking through Harbor Freight I've stopped to look at the bargain Predator 212CC motors but never had anything to put one in, finally found a good candidate for a swap.

Got this MBX10 for $30 off Craigslist with a blown up motor. 20% off coupon in hand, headed to Harbor Freight, $94 later headed home with a Predator 212cc motor. I read on several message boards that to swap these in the stock muffler and airbox will need to be modified or replaced with aftermarket options.

After doing one, I can say using basic tools and some patience you can get this motor to fit very well with minimal headache and no modifications to the airbox, muffler, or bike frame.

Here's the donor on dis-assembly, the stock motor tore the ignition coil from the mounting posts.

After getting the motor out I cleaned it up, and tried to stuff the predator in. The motor wouldn't fit with the muffler guard, took the guard off and the motor dropped in. Mocked everything up with the new clutch and chain, measured a few times and shot a new set of 5/16" motor mount holes in for the Predator.

Here are the 4 new 5/16" holes you'll need to add to the stock motor mount.

I wanted to keep the muffler guard with muffler that close to the seat and rider's legs but there was no way it would fit as is. Broke out the tape and cut off wheel.

Post surgery

Was able to re-use the stock motor mount hardware. Here's the predator mounted up.

Fits just fine without any modifications to the muffler or the airbox, but barely.

The motor sits as far forward as it will with the stock front drain plug in. If you wanted more clearance you could replace the stock plug with a set screw on the front side.

With the Max torque clutch flipped and everything aligned to the chain, the motor sits so that the rear drain plug aligns with the slot in the stock motor plate almost perfectly. Oil changes should be clean and easy.

The valve cover just clears the rear fender in its stock location. There is contact but so far after break in the valve cover hasn't gotten hot enough to melt the fender.

Had to cut a new chain with the motor shifted up a few inches, overall I would say the chain is probably around 10" longer than stock.

Wiring is easy, unplugged the predator oil level switch, unscrewed the potted box from the block and attached the ground from the Motovox kill switch there, plugged the kill switch lead to the ignition module in where the oil level switch was.

After loosening the predator throttle linkage, found that the stock throttle return spring is not sufficient for the Motovox throttle. Trying to finish this on the cheap I put a 45 degree bend in the largest throttle spring from the stock MBX10 setup and ran it from the throttle lever to the exhaust stud on the Predator, threw a spare nut on the stud to make sure it can't come off.

Added oil, clocked the pull starter so that it pulls correctly when sitting on the bike, and took her outside.

Never rode a stock Motovox, so I have nothing to compare to, but will say that when the clutch grabs now things happen quickly!
:scooter: