Mikuni carb on 212 Predator

Put a VM22-133 carb on my 212 and as soon as I start it it revs full blast and the slide isn’t stuck open or anything and I can’t figure out what’s wrong please help

If it's revs super high (like you're holding it full throttle) once you first start the engine you may have an intake leak.

Have you messed with any of the adjustments on the carb? You're sure the slide is fully closed?

Ok thanks for the responses everybody my intake gaskets was the problem for like full throttle rev but now it goes up Down up down by itself I think they call this surging any ideas. I’m in Seattle and it’s not raining and can’t enjoy my bike in this perfect weather. It’s killing me

If it's revs super high (like you're holding it full throttle) once you first start the engine you may have an intake leak.

Have you messed with any of the adjustments on the carb? You're sure the slide is fully closed?
Yes slide is fully closed now it goes up down up down like a perfect rythem

Minimichael

You're gonna have to provide more details: how the carb is getting fuel; the mixture; the jet sizes; any manifold, gasket and other vent porting.

Start with pics? Maybe start by showing how you resolved the intake leak at the gasket, and go from there.

Also did you buy this vm22 new? Has it been modified already? Was it advertised as plug and play?

It's anybody's guess why you're not out scooting around in the rain today.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the responses everybody my intake gaskets was the problem for like full throttle rev but now it goes up Down up down by itself I think they call this surging any ideas. I’m in Seattle and it’s not raining and can’t enjoy my bike in this perfect weather. It’s killing me
You're gonna have to provide more details: how the carb is getting fuel; the mixture; the jet sizes; any manifold, gasket and other vent porting.

Start with pics? Maybe start by showing how you resolved the intake leak at the gasket, and go from there.

Also did you buy this vm22 new? Has it been modified already? Was it advertised as plug and play?

It's anybody's guess why you're not out scooting around in the rain today.
I bought the carb from gopowersports new they have good stuff it seems like to me. It came with a 100 main jet and other jet not sure but gopowersports.com said try recommend 140 main jet and 17.5 for the other jet so that’s what I did

Minimichael

I bought the carb from gopowersports new they have good stuff it seems like to me. It came with a 100 main jet and other jet not sure but gopowersports.com said try recommend 140 main jet and 17.5 for the other jet so that’s what I did
There's a Mikuni tuning manual floating around here someplace. It might help troubleshoot. GPS no doubt set the screws correctly, but it wouldn't hurt to check them (one and a half turns out, etc). It's hard to say if a 140 main may be too much for your stock 212. GPS might even say put the 100 back in and start buying from there. The 17.5 jet could be the surging culprit, since it sounds like "up and down and up and down" would be something you'd notice most during a slower speed, like idle. I saying could because the slow speed jet is the pilot jet and pilot jet is the jet with low number and pilot jet is tuned with the air screw if you figure the surge due to the engine's appetite and air screw can't provide between 1 to 3 turns well then GPS might say change the 17.5 jet not sure if they would say change up or down tho maybe both

Last edited:
TIllotson 212 or Predator? I had a Tillotson with a 20mm Mikuni 180 main jet, 22.5 pilot jet (stock jetting) and the kart was an animal. The jets are slightly different between vm20 and vm22 so I don't know how relevant this info is, plus the Tillotson was a 10 horse. I would double check for intake leaks and make sure the throttle cable is routed safely.

nightgrider

With the engine idling spray a little starting fluid or brake clean around the areas that seal on the intake manifold (just a quick spritz). If the engines revs, that indicates a leak. If it is sealed well it shouldn't rev, because the fluid can't get into the intake.

Last edited: