Mini Mojo/How to ride at night.

I bought a house in August. I'm in the country and have a little over an acre of fields. I've wanted a cheap ride for awhile. I have no way to haul one to the trail.
I found a doodlebug frame for $50.
Now I can go 2 ways with this frame; #1 is to Install a predator 212 and a torque converter. $100+ for convertor $120 for the motor...
The drawback is a lack of suspension and the unavoidable exhaust noise. I'm limited to where and when I can ride.
Option 2 is to go electric. If I can dial in decent. Hill climbing and run time the bike would be waaaaay less maintenance than a gasser.

The frame needed some work out of the chute. Missing brake pad wheel bearing chain roller and chain guard.
After buying parts I found the brake housing was missing the spring clip that keeps the pads spaced. The wheel bearing was blown out and the collar was stuck in the hub.
I ended up clipping a Bobby pin to hold the brakes. I had to knock out the other bearing and pound out the collar with a crow bar.

The frame around has the body corners cut out. I priced a 6.5hp and belt drive for under $250 with chain. Most doodle builds claim they can climb daunting hills with this setup. A big plus for me, but I want to ride at night. I have a nice firepit in my lower field. It'd be nice to shuttle to the house and back at 2am.

After some research and ebay scouring I chose a 24v leeson at 1800rpm.
Gearing 20/70 with 8 in tires I think I can get a good balance of grunt and top end speed. Running at 48v it can hit 3600rpm 24mph. I got the motor sprocket from surplus center. 5/8" shaft with keyway. Should sound familiar. I'm even using #35 pitch chain.

Working on the same idea actually. You are way ahead of me which is nice. Always let someone else go first :)

Where did you get the motor and do you have a controller? Looks great.

This is an old build with dual 24v motors and 60v of 8amp hour batteries. 10lbs worth of motor 30lbs of batteries. 0-20mph in seconds.

https://youtu.be/mGtEUMxbywI

Starting tweaking kid toys years ago for the neighborhood gang and my own fun.

https://youtu.be/qTinsrIJbYg

https://youtu.be/s1UP9MeDra8

These are crappy motor but the theory is the same. Thinner wraps equal more speed but way less heat resistance. Throw too many amps at the motor and it'll burn up.

It is possible to hit 30mph with a 10lb motor. It won't climb hills for crap. I'm going all in with a 24lb industrial motor. Hoping for speed and climb

No need for a clutch just instant power....unless you start at the bottom of a hill. Then you're just burning amps and over heating the motor. This industrial motor should tackle hills with ease. My 60v dirtbike would climb just fine but lose 5mph that was also on pavement.
I can't wait to finish this build and post results

How does it ride with no clutch? Bet it gets it of the line. Awesome man I dig it!!
Cool videos- nice and quiet :) That motor you have is no joke.

What controller are you using to combine the batteries?
Motor is rated at 1/3 hp but I'll be running double voltage with a yk43b controller it runs24-60v 100amp peak. Motor peaks at 40 amp and runs 18amp constant. I'll be pushing it hard but it's meant to run all day

Drilled 2 mount holes and locked in the motor. Frakenstiened a roller from 2 sources and bolted it in. Chain is a bit floppy and the motor could be remounted an inch over but the chain path looks straight enough and I could use to over the original mountholes so it should be straight enough. Gotta lube everything real good. I should have did the axle before I set the disc brake. The doodle bugs wheel is really crammed in there. The brakes rub without any cable setting. Nothing I can do there. I just pulled the caliper arm as loose as I could and still enough grab to lock the wheel.

Since my motor juts out enough to have foot peg issues. I screwed a u clamp into the front 2 holes of the motor face. The flat metal part is nutted in front of the sprocket to shield it and the u juts out enough to rest your foot on the peg and not kick back into the sprocket. I had to hack the u in half to thread each screw, but it'll be impossible to accidently touch the chain while climbing. I'm hoping an industrial can climb better than my electric mx. This thing will be heavy as hell and the back wheel drags. I ordered 4 22ah batteries for 48v and 54lb of lead. My mx ran 30lbs 60v 12lb motor bike weight 85lbs. Industrial is 24lbs plus 54lb lead bike weight 120lbs. So they are 30lbs apart which is more than equal for the industrial motor supposed capabilities. I watched a guy tow his 94 corolla with an industrial motor mounted on a razor scooter. Even at 5mph that Lil electric pulled a 1 ton car.

Hooked up two 8ah 36v pks in parallel for 16ah. The Batts are mismatched and 5yrs old but each pack pulled me on a razor e300 to the bar and home. A few times. So I did a field test. Bike could not pull me. Motor hummed like a hornets nest. Lifting the tire I got a zippy responce. I even dropped it enough to lay a burnout on my basement floor. It goes. But not with a rider.
[video=youtube_share;1YDllGU_T0c]https://youtu.be/1YDllGU_T0c[/video]

Came home to my charger and 54lbs of batteries on my doorstep. It's about to get very real in the next few days. The 100amp controller itself weighs like 3lbs. Stay tuned while I wire it up and do some trial runs.