minibike alternator/generator?

I have no employer, I am retired. But saw tooth wave signals are old school methods of using inductance to send reference signals for various applications. (Someone is making a mint off of me not working)

But yes, the voltage generated in that application is too small to store. If it were feasible, we'd have them in our cars, and glued to our buttocks and we'd all be generating electricity from nothing. It would herald in new world order where energy was free, where money didn't matter.

Wiggle your ass for a half hour, someone gives you dinner. I mean yeah, I'd love to see it. Like Star Trek Next Generation. Come to think if it, there are some folks who wiggle their asses and make a good living at it. They just don't generate electricity, just erect other constructs.

Sure, you can increase your XL with higher (rare earth) magnets and more windings, but your generator begins to be larger than the machine it serves.

XL= X of L is inductance as used in formula 2 times Pi times F times L. Where F is frequency and L is inductance, and Pi is used to describe the rotational effects, RPM the frequency, and inductance the magnet/windings. That is the why or how of the what.

Refer to perpetual motion machine.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I could listen to it for hours. However, I don't feel the same way about my electromagnetic flashlight. I used to think it was pretty cool.

I guess im done with this generator idea, Twerking and lights on a minibike.? But hey, if she rides on the back with a shake-flashlight. I guess we got the problem solved? Thanks

Well not at all GI, you asked a good question as to why a simple pulse pick up signal would not work well enough to generate electricity. I tried to answer that in what I'd hoped was not a too-serious manner. I didn't mean to offend you.

I was explaining why a pulse-pick up is good for a reference signal, and not for power generation. The basic "theory" is that inductance is required to generate electricity. (That is the "L") However in a pulse pick up, such as a crank trigger, you have too much inductive reactance. That is the "XL." Thus to generate a wave form (frequency or the "F" seen as a voltage rise from zero, either positive or negative) you have to increase the number of windings in the conductor so that "L" overcomes the effects of a nearly zero ohm conductor. (which means you need a bigger magnet and more windings, and you end up with an alternator, already available on the shelf) Or, do some of that, and increase the RPM, which isn't practical.

Thus; K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid) which is a long held mantra of engineers the world over. I didn't mean to offend you. Just explaining the concept which prevents it from generating. (Which is indeed, 2 times Pi times frequency times induction for reactive impedance)

CarPlayLB

I don't know that I am overthinking this...I don't drink as much as minibikegi, and I am not even close to being as smart as Dave. I have all the parts, just no time to try and put it together!

Carplaylb,
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to know how the battery charging on your minibike came out. I'm looking at doing the same on my old BearKat I just bought. Nothing like having a little light when you are trying to make it out of the woods late in the evening.
\

Last edited: