minibike alternator/generator?

CarPlayLB

any more updates on this mission of light?
I have been watching the sales! At this point I have everything for light...just need to package it! I am still wrestling in my mind if I run this off the jackshaft or the crank. The alternator has permanent magnets in it and it does turn over with a little resistance. It does not freewheel like a car alternator. I am afraid it will take low end power and additional stress to pull start and idle. The bike is supposed to be back from powder coat tomorrow. Once I get it to roller stage I can start looking at how the mount everything!

Maybe a v-belt drive with a tensioner release, over-center thingie to allow slip for starting?
Honda's CB-X had a friction-drive alternator to let engine rev quicker then let the rotor catch up.

The easy thing to do is use a boat type generator setup it will self regulat the volts and easy to setup just finding one small enough and cost-effective . Been working on making a generator from a e weedwacker and a lm 317 chip . May work but cant get the head around some of it yet afrer the injury .

CarPlayLB

I have all my parts, just don't have enough time to devote to this. I scrapped the idea of bolting this to a flat head engine. I have procured a Briggs Animal as the test unit. The alternator will easily bolt to the top of the engine...I just need to make a bracket.

This project is not abandoned, just on hold!

Watching these so maybe I can rip the hard work off and make it work on a honda/clone.

I have a small alt off a kubota tractor I had planned on tinkering with later on down the line.

I was going to use a tecumseh recoil generator on a briggs and drive it off the pto shaft only got as far as drilling the bolt for the cable drive
just remember it when i moved the boonie

I have 4 OF THE TECUMSEH speedo cable alternators, there almost new! Removed from some old Ariens snow-blowers, Some paper-work also. Great idea, really was.

Its always been the Qeust for Lights! Since the very first bike. Times now are at best with LED, Shorting out ignition coils is such a huge era. with topics of lights. Next thing is a actuator from the valves, k done with fuel pump. Not disrecpectfull to your post, but why not a pulse fitting on a oil-cap dynamo kinda app. that could fit most anything? engine pulse is what everything in the world has? Did I just miss my own fortune?

Sounds simple, but the vehicles we drive are realient on magnetic sensors, Engine to seat belt and the buzzers! Why cant a guy make a pule fitting that generates electricity? My seat belt has no trouble sounding alarm, but it has secondary power, to trigger that was from magnets, that no doubt creates power voltage?

A pulse activated generator,LIKE a Forever flashlight that you SHAKE to generate power. It would work from engine pulses? another form of a Linneer generator.

A pulse activated generator,LIKE a Forever flashlight that you SHAKE to generate power. It would work from engine pulses? another form of a Linneer generator.
Because the pulsed saw tooth wave form voltage generated via inductance doesn't produce enough voltage to power or charge. It merely produces a signal for reference. (Generally speaking) Unless of course, you need your head lamp to be the same wattage as that flashlight. Note that in those "shake and bake flashlights, you're charging a capacitor for a 5-7 minute charge on a very small bulb.

The advent of Li-Po batteries and LED lamps makes a simple battery and wall charger system the way to go for those who don't have a charging coil equipped engine, IMO.

K.I.S.S. These are mini bikes. Otherwise, a GM single wire alternator will give you 30 amps of dynamite with a laser beam, lunar eclipse, daylight and possibly enough A/H to listen to an entire Queen album on the 8 Track player mounted beneath the seat.

CarPlayLB

Because the pulsed saw tooth wave form voltage generated via inductance doesn't produce enough voltage to power or charge. It merely produces a signal for reference. (Generally speaking) Unless of course, you need your head lamp to be the same wattage as that flashlight. Note that in those "shake and bake flashlights, you're charging a capacitor for a 5-7 minute charge on a very small bulb.

The advent of Li-Po batteries and LED lamps makes a simple battery and wall charger system the way to go for those who don't have a charging coil equipped engine, IMO.

K.I.S.S. These are mini bikes. Otherwise, a GM single wire alternator will give you 30 amps of dynamite with a laser beam, lunar eclipse, daylight and possibly enough A/H to listen to an entire Queen album on the 8 Track player mounted beneath the seat.
who told you about my 8 track player? secrets out now! Dammmit Dave!

Right, I wasn't heading to Shark Tank with the idea. just sumthin to see if possibly works? And yes we have one bike that uses a Dewalt battery. I still test 9v.batteries with my tongue. As mentioned about the flash-light, "charging the capacitor for a small bulb" ? The bulbs they used were not LED. At least not the ones I remember. wouldn't it at least maintain a battery? Plus if you use to separate windings you could get more voltage, and with a N52 neo magnet? I hands down don't go that far with background knowledge of how it works In Theory. just sounded like an interesting project. Thanks