minibike finish

delray

hey guys,just finish minibike. everthing was custom built except for the fox front forks. they work out perfect for my project.

the engine is a older stlye 3hp tecumseh that i completly rebuilt. gas tank original was mounted on the back side. now on the front:thumbsup:

purchase a bicylce generater light kit and modify the generater with 12ttsprocket and 3/4 highspeed bearing and mounted it under the chain as a chain tenser too.

headlight,taillight also amber(orange)led lights in the foot pegs

built a scrub brake and also installed a drum brake. fab-up a chain cover and custom built header pipe and exhaust. sissy bar around the seat was fab-up from some old chevy truck mirror brackets.

size differents from a doodle bug

video of my stepson riding it for the first time 08/11/07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDgtR4smmCo
:scooter:................brian

Last edited:

delray

frame rails where from a acme minibike. guy was selling out all his stuff last year on ebay. purchase four frames kits that needed to be welded together($20ea). i had to modify couple things before welding it together. the foot pegs came straight out,solid. so i cut them off and made them fold. add extra 4inch of frame in the back. extended the seat mount out.
:scooter:...................:thumbsup:

Very nice work! Lots of detail. The gas tank in back must explain the side exhuast and lowered carb. Did you make the chain gaurd? Sweet! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

delray

gto,the chain cover i made too, easy to make. i use a stainless steel mixing container. you can buy them at wal-mart,baking goods stores,etc..
think i pay $4 or $5 for it. cut the dish in half and then fab a side peice with pattern and length for minibike. welded the two together as one peice and then smooth the welds up and paint it.
Kohler-Chopper,i like the 70's stlye strips too:thumbsup:
i have some video of his second day riding it. he really wants to give it some gas now. i took him out back where he can really get on it. i slip a small plastic tube over the throttle cable so it would only open 3/4 full. 3hp has more then enough power for him.
note: in the video headlight working:thumbsup: also note: for some of you guys that have a minidoodle bug how fast my doodle bug moves with the up grades. i still have the throttle control unit on the minibike and it is turn in some,so the bike is not at full speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ZEcCiXHRQ
:scooter:......................

Last edited:

Don

That's great! You need to set up a course around some traffic cones.

Did you do anything to the governor on your Doodle bug?

Last edited:

delray

don,carb-linkage and gov on the doodle bug is all stock still. it just runs better with lower gear. it lets the clutch lock up better and go. also with the header pipe exhaust it gives it little more power(1/2hp)ha ha,maybe:scooter:...........:thumbsup:

the carb on on his bike started to act-up . when it idle for a minute the carb would be real lean when he gave it some gas and then it would die. so it would start up again,but i would have to choke it little and throttle it little and then it would clear up? and then he could go. i clean it out today with carb cleaner and little air presure. working ok now. the fuel mix screw is only open 1/4 of a turn??? but it runs good. idle screw is open lot more. 1 1/4 or so???

Don

Mine are running real good now. I had to mess with the mixture screw. After that I set the idle speed screw to get the manual recommended 1400+200/-150 rpm idle speed.

The choke arrow sticker on the air cleaner on both of mine were backwards causing some confusion early on.

Bypassing the governor gave us a more top end, in your open field you'd see a bigger difference than we see on our 300 foot long street. Before bypassing the governor, we'd hit the governor after accelerating for about 100 feet, now the bikes are still accelerating at the end of the 300 foot road.

When we're on a long dirt road they get going too fast for the conditions (lots of rocks!).

To bypass the governor I wrapped thin wire between the two points where the governor spring attaches to the governor. It was cheap and can be easily removed when a child rides the bike.

Have a question.
Im new to the mini bike world
Im restoring a bike, think its a Fox
The handle bars have a ton of play
I think there should be a bushing in the cylinder that the bolt goes through to attach the forks?
Is this correct, if so where do you find these at?
Thanks Rob