Minibike

cfh

it took me a while to figure out what i liked. started with small Ruttmans, because they are available here in michigan. but found that this old body wanted full suspension... also turns out that 6" wheels are just too small. also torque converters only, no standard clutch. at 175 pounds, a standard clutch is dumb. better for 100 pound kids. so now nothing without front/rear shocks and 10" wheels or bigger and a torque converter. This means Rupp, Speedway, MTD, stuff like that. also i only ride off-road, so that changes things too. if you're a road rider you can probably have small wheels and a clutch. But It did take me a bit to get to know what i wanted...

copyman

Hi
Can anyone help me ,I am getting into vintage mini bikes. What is a good bike to start collecting?

Thanks rw
When you say collecting do you also mean you are going to rebuild them as well? If just collecting there are plenty of nice bikes already restored I see for sale.

Some good advice from other members.

Personally I would start with a Rupp if going to rebuild. They are poplar and I believe most bikes ever made which would make parts a little easier to find. You may buy a bike that you like the look of but then can't find parts, unless of course you are lucky enough to find a complete bike with all the parts, covers, etc.

Best of luck & welcome to the madness!

When you say collecting do you also mean you are going to rebuild them as well? If just collecting there are plenty of nice bikes already restored I see for sale.

Some good advice from other members.

Personally I would start with a Rupp if going to rebuild. They are poplar and I believe most bikes ever made which would make parts a little easier to find. You may buy a bike that you like the look of but then can't find parts, unless of course you are lucky enough to find a complete bike with all the parts, covers, etc.

Best of luck & welcome to the madness!
Leading the poor bastard to the MOST expensive ones to rebuild and buy…great advice!!

cfh

i agree Rupps, especially 1970 to 1975 models, are plentiful and pretty easy to restore. Nearly ever part for them is available at Black Widow motorsport. The only downside is, if the base bike is pretty flogged, it will be expensive. I would stay away from the 1965 to 1969 Rupps though, as they are genuine money pits! and also not as many parts are available for those, and they are way more expensive parts.

The other upside to Rupp is the 1970-1975 models are really good bikes. i mean they made a ton of them because they are so good. They ride and handle really well. And if you look on ebay for parts you can't get from BlackWidow, nearly every part is out there. They just made so many of those Rupps, someone is always selling stuff.

And finally the 1970 to 1975 models use Tecumseh HS model motors. Again, easy to get. Opposed to the pre-1970 H50 engines, which are much harder to get (in terms of parts and base motors.) And the pre-1970 two-speed clutches and clutch guards, don't even get me started on that! man that's $500 easy right there, and you still have SO much more to buy. 1965 to 1969 Rupps just aren't worth the squeeze to restore, unless you are rich.

if you want to get an idea on what is involved in restoring a minibike, i did a youtube video series (nine total videos) on restoring a Speedway from a pile of parts. It certainly applies to other mini bikes too (like say rupp.) it can give you an idea of what you're up for, and how much it may cost. I know, 9 part video series, it's potentially a time kill! but it just depends how deep you want to go in this sinkhole....

Last edited:

copyman

Leading the poor bastard to the MOST expensive ones to rebuild and buy…great advice!!
My point was the most & easiest parts available. Much better then having a rare bike that will break the bank if you are lucky to even find the part. Plus many after market stuff for Rupp, clutch covers, engine decals, etc etc
Like cfh posted Black Widow has practically everything for Rupp!

Well I’ll have to disagree….and if you think rupps are affordable then you’re in a way different tax bracket than I pal….

cfh

Another brand of bike that is good is the MTD trail flite 1971 and later. They are pretty easy to restore, and don't generally need many parts. The original gas tank is plastic, so no rust issues. Uses Tecumseh HS motor, so those parts are easy to get too. And finally, they ride GREAT. probably the best riding minibike of the era, along with Speedway, and then Rupp. Only downside to the MTD is no one sells an aftermarket seat.

cfh

Well I’ll have to disagree….and if you think rupps are affordable then you’re in a way different tax bracket than I pal….
Looking at your picture next to your name, Bonanza, i would say you are the one in a different tax bracket! ha! I can't afford a bonanza frame, much less the entire bike, IF i could even find one!!!

Seriously though, here in the midwest you can't throw a rock without hitting a 1970 to 1975 Rupp. and they are cheap here. i just got one from a scrap yard for free (a 1970 roadster.) Also got a 1971 hustler from the scrap yard for $150.

Bonanzas are not that difficult to find…shit I have 3 extras hanging from the ceiling….and yes they are expensive to restore…but rupps and their parts are at the top of the food chain…they are usually way over priced and controversial….im not a fan…and most of the rupp collectors I’ve dealt with are prickish and only want to tell you your shit sucks….just MY opinion….

cfh

this may be a regional thing. you're from california right? where bonanza was made and sold... so they are probably easy to find there. And you don't see Rupps in CA because they were made in ohio...

i've had the same experience with bonanza people being arrogant. but again, it may be because here in the midwest, you never see a bonanza. and i've been looking too, yet to find one. But rupps, they are everywhere in the midwest. there's always some for sale here.

some rupp parts are expensive.. but again, stay away from 1965 to 1969 rupps, they are the worst. and hell i don't think they are even that great to ride. but man those bikes and their parts are way expensive. but the 1970 to 1975 rupps on the other hand, readily available and for fair prices. and the parts are way cheaper too. and they ride great! also the 1970-1975 rupp parts are basically all available from black widow. regardless of the price (whether you think it's a lot or cheap), at least the parts are available. and you can see the price going in, before you buy a particular bike. no ebay hunt and peck and bid type stuff.

right now, on facebook market place detroit, there's a rupp hustler for $350. it's pretty complete, sans gas tank and fenders. there's also a complete roadster (predator motor though unfortunately) for $1000... but its been for sale a while, i bet that could be gotten for a lot less. and an Enduro for $700 that's pretty complete with a nice Tecumseh. again for sale for a while, bet it could be bought for $500. of those 3 bikes i like the enduro deal the best...

Last edited: